43oh

Image quality and external images

Howdy all,

I have a humble request for modifications to the image rules 43oh after some of my hosted images have been removed and after experiencing some quirks with our image system. My gripes with our image policy are the following:

1- Images can be reduced in quality significantly when uploaded to the forum to the point where in certain applications, they are no longer useful

2- Non users cannot see these images

3- Images are replaced by microscopic thumbnails

4- User hosted images are not allowed

1: For example, sometimes people prefer to display schematics with images for various reasons. For me personally, i'm not a fan of pdfs due to the fun viruses they can embed so I try to avoid promoting their use. Consequently, I use an image such as this (hosted via the site).

Original image size: ~350kbs, new image size = ~100kbs

post-664-0-12219900-1373017456_thumb.gif

As you can see, the values are no longer discernible even when fully zoomed in.

Here is the original image:

http://zallus.com/images/oven_sch.gif

2: A picture speaks a thousand words and is the heart of most projects. Allowing non users to see what were up to would be a great motivator for them to take part in this awesome community. =D right now, they don't know what they are missing out on. I try to show this site off at work but they give up as soon as they have to sign up for an account in order to see anything.

3: Understandably, thumbnails can be necessary or else certain images can stretch the form beyond its limits. Perhaps a thumbnail limit to 80% of the forums width limit would be an improvement over the current tiny thumbnails. Its nice not always having to click on the images in order to be able to view them in a decent size. Generally a 80% forum width thumbnail is more than enough. 

4: I think allowing user images would be a nice compromise to the issues 1,2,3 since it doesn't cost the forum anything for users to host their own images. Granted, some images could be lost overtime.

Anyhow, any consideration regarding this would be mucho appreciated!

@@username. Good questions. See replies below. I'm more than happy to help out users, but some conditions are set in place due to reasons listed below.

1- Images can be reduced in quality significantly when uploaded to the forum to the point where in certain applications, they are no longer useful

>> Yes, that is being done to conserve bandwidth. For now, pdfs are the only way to get schematics readable.

2- Non users cannot see these images

>> There is a reason for that. The "Projects" section is open. The remaining sections are closed. The only reason I've done this is to increase member base and to make visitors at least register for what they need. It takes ~30 seconds to register, and the content is free. There is absolutely no loss to the visitor, except time.

I've experimented this before when I had everything open, registrations dropped from 10-15 a day to 5 a day. I need to keep people on the site to sustain it.

3- Images are replaced by microscopic thumbnails

>> For bandwidth reasons. If I keep a cap on the image size, users struggle with getting the size down. They eventually get irritated and don't post the image. I'm looking into reducing image optimization, since it is not a click setting in the backend.

4- User hosted images are not allowed

>> They eventually die - this is the only reason. I know a few members link from their personal sites, but still, what happens if the sites go down? However, members are still free to add links to their site.