igor

The MSP430 on the moon

I saw this from Hackaday, which had the gall to call it "Arduinos in space."  Seriously?  I've got nothing against Arduino, but they are using 430 for a damn good reason, and it is irresponsible for Hackaday to report it as such.

Hackaday probably got this from the project description, which oddly refers to Arduino too:

" Scouts are solar powered with integrated optical and radio transceivers and can have sensors including a single pixel optical sensor, accelerometer, gyroscope, temperature sensor, strain gauges and more. If you are comfortable with ARDUINO level software development, you can run your own software on Software and Hardware Development Scouts. We

True but no bare die offered on CC430. Kind of makes sense too as it adds another dimension of required support...

Anyways at least from this perspective the project description makes sense, I would't be too surprised if this project turns out to be a hoax ;-)

If I can have one of this on the moon, let me just make it echo my pings.. well it's kind of silly but thinking the ping is from.. Moon.

"One small step for a chip, giant leap for TI"

Hmmm....

Accelerometer, magnetometer and pressure data from release to touch down on the lunar surface... then switch to magnetometer, luminance, and ambient pressure, temperature and humidity while on the surface.

Hmmm....Accelerometer, magnetometer and pressure data from release to touch down on the lunar surface... then switch to magnetometer, luminance, and ambient pressure, temperature and humidity while on the surface.

Pressure??, humidity?? - Why would those be interesting things to measure?

Unless it is just to confirm that it is on the moon, and not on a set someplace inside NASA. ;-)

Just looked it up, and to my surprise it turns out the moon does have an atmosphere,

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LADEE/news/lunar-atmosphere.html

however since it has 1/10,000,000,000,000 the molecules per cc of earth's atmosphere,

measuring pressure is probably going to be challenging, humidity even more so.