canibalimao

MSP430G2*** + RTC PCF8563

Hi guys

Here I am again to ask for help :oops:

So the deal is this: I'm waiting for a nokia 5110 LCD screen to arrive and I'm thinking on what I can do with it.

My idea was to make something like a clock with a thermometer and, with an accelerometer, when I bounce it it works like a magic 8 ball (I think about a decision I have to make and it "helps" me with a "Yes" "No" and "Maybe" answer).

The maginc 8 ball isn't a real issue. I gess that the code is pretty simple (I can use a sample code from the book "Getting started with the MSP430") and that shouldn't be a problem.

My problem is about using a RTC chip to deal with the clock. Is that really needed? A MSP430G2542 is capable of doing the job (Thermometer + clock + analog accelerometer reading)?

Hope anyone can help me.

canibalimao

RTC wouldn't be required - you can do an internal clock - but you'd want the external crystal for accuracy.  

This post by oPossum might be helpful for temperature - http://www.43oh.com/2012/03/tutorial-display-internal-temperature-sensor-readings-on-a-nokia-5110-lcd/

or this one by oPossum that does time/temp on a nokia 7110 - http://forum.43oh.com/topic/1994-time-temperature-on-nokia-7110/ - looks like he used the same interface - you'd mostly need the 5110 classes. 

Thank you @@cubeberg :D I hope I can now use that with my accelerometer too :)

I need to set up the time allways I turn the system on... If I use an RTC IC it should keep the time stored with only a simple capacitor or a battery cell. Is there any way to keep the internal clock of the MSP430 running in lowpower just to keep the cock info stored?

Thank you @@cubeberg :grin: I hope I can now use that with my accelerometer too :smile:

I need to set up the time allways I turn the system on... If I use an RTC IC it should keep the time stored with only a simple capacitor or a battery cell. Is there any way to keep the internal clock of the MSP430 running in lowpower just to keep the cock info stored?

I would think so - you'd need a battery-backup supply for just the MSP430 that wouldn't be used by the rest of the device when the device wasn't on.  If you use low power modes - you can keep the battery usage very low.  Some of the more ee-oriented guys might be able to provide a better solution - but there should be something you could do with some diodes.  I believe Adafruit's Ice Tube Clock has something like that in the design to keep the main CPU running when the main power is removed.

I'm getting it. I just need a diode between the VCC pin on the MSP430 and the power supply and connect the VCC pin also to a positive pin of a coin cell battery and the negative of that battery to the GND pin.

I gess this can be more easy than it seems. But still I'll still wait for some electronic-geek reply :mrgreen:

Thank you very much once again @@cubeberg :)