Sign in to follow this  
bluehash

New forum supporter - Tiny Circuits

Tiny Circuits were one lane next to us at the Bay Area Maker Faire 2013. They currently do alot of Arduino stuff and have recently launchpad their web-store which is an outcome of their kick starter campaigns.

They mentioned, that if anyone has ideas for a Launchpad BoosterPack, they will take it into consideration. So here's welcoming them!

Looks like they had a problem with their web store and are offering a 10% discount.

Because of these issues, we're extending the 10% off coupon for four more days, so this is valid unitl June 25, 2013.   To redeem your 10% off, please use the following coupon code at checkout: tinylaunch   There is also free shipping is available on all orders over $50 (both US and International shipments).

Enjoy.

I remember these guys from KickStarter!  Very cool stuff.  I probably would have backed their project if I hadn't committed so much to the 3D printer.

Hi everyone,

I'm Ken from TinyCircuits, glad to participate in the community here at 43oh.  I've actually done quite a bit with MSP430's in the past and definitely want to make a processor board for our system that is 430 based.  Ideally all of the "TinyShields" that have been developed for the TinyDuino would also work with the MSP430 based processor board.  We've got a few really useful (and very small) expansion shields coming out in the next few weeks, including Bluetooth, Bluetooth LE, WiFi, GPS, Ethernet, 9-Axis IMU, accelerometers, tiny motor controllers, and a bunch of other sensors. 

If we were to make a MSP430 based board, any thoughts on how popular this might be?  Also, what would be the favorite MSP430 variant to base this around? 

Thanks!

Ken Burns

TinyCircuits

welcome to the forum, and thank you for supporting the community.  the only design side concern is that the MSP430 is a 3.3v device and the arduino is a 5v device.  but I would think the shields should work either way, would be nice to have a universal shield system that would work on both.

*I agree with SPIRILLIS, a 2955 would be killer providing a great boost over the 2553*

after reading on your website, I did some preliminary design for a MSP430G2553 based micro-Launchpad same pinout as its big brother, only smaller.  I chose the g2553 because that is the chip that the main launchpad comes with so most "starter" projects are designed for it.  My inter board connectors are just .050 headers.  Battery powered 1225 coin cell, or LiPo Chemistry if the charging and support circuitry is populated. USB plug for charging and communication support. 

Board size without a usb micro b plug to recharge the LiPo with is only 14mm x 14mm, the size of your mini lilypad.

post-7036-0-28155500-1372120191_thumb.jpg

and with the usb plug it is 14mm x 19mm

post-7036-0-78647400-1372120286_thumb.jpg

I consider the design to be open source, so feel free to expand on it:)  I have this board, and the LEDmatrix micro booster being fabricated at OSH par right now

I attached the board and schematic files.

micro_LP.zip

Definitely as @@JWoodrell said, the G2553 is the most popular of the line right now among us.

However if you managed to support the new G2955 I think you'd position yourself in a unique area for having a board working with the most flash & RAM-rich Value Line part. It'd be more powerful than the Arduino UNO in memory for sure. I'm not sure if they're in mass production yet but there should be a QFN variant. Programming them with the MSP430 LaunchPad is a bit of a question atm (someone got it working).

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions - I was actually thinking of using a higher end product, like something from the 5xx series. The serial BSL would be used to load in the code normally via our USB Adapter board, and the board would have a Spy-by-wire connection for debugging with an external debugger (ie the Launchpad) if necessary.  We'd be targetting a selling price for the processor board in the $15 - $20 range, similar to the Atmega version of the processor board. 

Any issues with doing this vs sticking with the value family? 

Thanks!

Ken

I wish I had a G2955 carrier board in hand cause I have samples of the chip but no breakout board... would rather put this discussion to bed for good :D. Anyone have any PCBs for it?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions - I was actually thinking of using a higher end product, like something from the 5xx series. The serial BSL would be used to load in the code normally via our USB Adapter board, and the board would have a Spy-by-wire connection for debugging with an external debugger (ie the Launchpad) if necessary.  We'd be targetting a selling price for the processor board in the $15 - $20 range, similar to the Atmega version of the processor board. 

There are entry level MSP430F550x USB familly, with USB BSL (practically close to zero parts), with highest member MSP430F5510, that also coming in 64 pin RGC QFN (plenty of IO pins). And for SBW debugging can be used Launchpad (reported on few 43oh posts that is working OK, even it is not officially supported).