43oh

[Project] New firmware for coffee machine

Just thought I posted my long-time pending project - a replacement chip solution for the Senseo coffee pad machine. It's not 'in production' yet, will do so in the following days, just a bit nervous about playing with line voltages. The machine uses/used a capacitive divider instead of a small transformer, which means that most of the stuff is at line potential with reference to earth. Original voltage regulation is done by clamping 220V through a 5V zener.

It has been thoroughly tested on the breadboard so it should work once installed.

Hardware - mostly stock, I'm just putting in the MSP430 chip and a regulator. I kept the original board and removed the uC and EEPROM chips.

- three buttons: power, 1 coffee, 2 coffees

- the power button has a small red LED circle around it

- heater controlled via an SCR

- NTC thermistor inside the heater is sampled through a voltage divider.

- water sensor is a hall type sensor that detects the floater position inside the water tank

- water pump is controlled via a small transistor

Operation:

- while line voltage is on but the machine is powered off the user can enter service modes via button combinations

- upon powering on the machine starts heating the water, displaying on the LED how hot the water is (PWM)

- if the user requests a coffee, the machine changes is blinking pattern and starts making a coffee once the water is heated

- if there is no water in the tank there is a faster blinking pattern

- if no user input is detected for 30 minutes the machine goes to power off state

- a lot of other safety stuff and under the hood stuff that you kind of expect to work

Why?

The original machine annoyed me (and my work mates) for various reasons:

- once plugged in, it stayed off, so if you used a remote outlet you have to physically move yourself to power on the machine, making the remote outlet kind of useless

- heating the water takes quite a lot of time (90s) and you cannot request a coffee in advance

- that 90s seems like forever because you have no indication how far you are from the target temperature; the led just blinks and then settles to an ON state

- if left unused for a while, the boiler temperature goes down quite a lot; this makes the next coffee colder than normal

Things to do after real-world testing is complete:

- the 2 coffee button is not implemented yet, not sure it is needed. Two presses of the other button achieve exactly the same thing and the water does not cool so much

- LPM3/4. Probably not needed, but I will test initially with a separate battery supply.

- water quantity calibration via a service mode. You should be able to increase/decrease the pump duration in 1 second increments via a service mode and the value saved in flash. The original chip did this

- add a jumper or some kind of configuration mode where you can have the machine prepare a coffee once it's powered on, for remote controlled outlet usage

If anyone needs more details I can provide them here; I will eventual make a dedicated blog post with tons of pictures and graphs about this.

Strangely enough I cannot attach .ino files and the code tag seems broken.

senseopad.ino.txt

Fantastic work!  Also you used Energia, neat and practical use of the platform.  That's a little scary they use a 5V zener to supply the MCU... I guess it works but wow!  Probably a lot more common than I think.

IMO, with that setup, don't bother with LPM3/LPM4.  The MSP430 sips rather little power (few mA's) even in fully active mode.

Awesome project and great writeup. Thanks for sharing. Do you plan to post this project somewhere? If you do, then I would love to put a link to it on the Energia website under projects.

I love that it uses a capacitive power supply. I have reading up on this this for some projects that I am working on and if you know what you are doing then these little circuits can be an awesome solution for a space constrained mains powered circuit.

Here's a great writeup by jeelabs that explains how these little circuits work: http://jeelabs.org/2012/01/29/capacitive-power-supply/

But if you are Apple then of course you figure out how to cram a real power supply into a small package: http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

Awesome project and great writeup. Thanks for sharing. Do you plan to post this project somewhere? If you do, then I would love to put a link to it on the Energia website under projects.

I love that it uses a capacitive power supply. I have reading up on this this for some projects that I am working on and if you know what you are doing then these little circuits can be an awesome solution for a space constrained mains powered circuit.

Here's a great writeup by jeelabs that explains how these little circuits work: http://jeelabs.org/2012/01/29/capacitive-power-supply/

But if you are Apple then of course you figure out how to cram a real power supply into a small package: http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

Thanks for that link, gotta keep this in mind (e.g. for remote control triac power strip projects or whatnot...)

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk

I'd suggest using LPM4 to use the shutdown/standby mode of the Senseo. You should aim for the machine to use as little power as possible when plugged in a live socket.

You could use a RF chip with this design to remotely energize the coffee machine (brew me one while I pull myself from the bed in the morning)