43oh

[Solved] Serial not working despite changing the jumpers

Hi folks,

I'm extremely excited to see Arduino ported to something so much cheaper. Makes things a lot easier.

But...

I can't seem to get Serial working, no matter what I change. I have revision 1.5 with the 2553 chip in place. I did solder the external 32k crystal in place - I hope that isn't messing with things. I've seen the pictures online of the jumpers being moved, as well as the silk screen on the board clearly showing how to arrange the jumpers. I've even tried reverting back to software serial. I've tried both serial ports listed under Tools -> Serial Port. I also tried running mspdebug from the terminal after uploading the sketch and still no luck.

I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit with Energia compiled from source. Energia appears to be working correctly - the Servo example works great.

The only other oddity that I am noticing is that the program is extremely slow to launch and the Tools menu takes a long time (upwards of 15-30 seconds) to open. Uploading a sketch and opening the serial terminal takes an equally long time.

Any help is appreciated. Please let me know if there is any debug output I can share that would help find the problem.

David

Wish I could show you dmesg output - I will as soon as I get home. I have set the udev rule - I can program it via mspdebug without needing to run root, and I don't run Energia as root either. I have added myself to the dialout group too.

From that other thread, I found it very interesting that mspdebug ships with the necessary udev rule. Is it placed there just for reference or is supposed to be installed? I know I had to create a separate udev rule elsewhere.

David

Serial not working is too vague a problem description.

• It can be problem on the firmware. h/w or s/w uart.
  • It can be problem w/ linux acm driver.
  • it can be what you use to access the port in linux (assuming energia)

I am not familiar w/ Energia but I suppose there's a terminal window talking to the serial port.

Regardless, whenever I have similar problem the 1st thing I would do is to short (i.e. connect) the TX/RX pins on the LP header block (the PC side, not the MCU side). This will allow whatever you type from the PC side be echoed back to the PC w/o going to the MCU.

This eliminates the possibility of firmware problem.

You could then use minicom or some other terminal program to connect to the port and make sure I see what I type. If this is not happening, need to trace through dmesg outputs and such.

/EDIT as for the "supplied" udev rules, I think it is whoever packager's preference to include that in the package. I had not seen or use one since mostly I built from source.

The serial driver in the debugger part is limited to 9600Bdps, if you tried using serial at a higher rate you cannot get it to work while using the onboard serial connection. Either drop to 9600Bdps or use an external serial cable (like FTDI and the like) to interface with a PC.

And I wonder why. Those "cheap chinese knockoffs" are made with the same chips and passives as the "original" Arduino. And if seller have more than 99% positive feedback then he have decent QC and those "knockoffs" are as good as original. For only $8.80 you can get Nano Arduino atmega 328 (32k flash, 2k RAM, 1k EEPROM ) with FTDI chip that can do serial up to 3000kbps or for only $10.50 you can get Arduino UNO with ATMEGA 328P + ATMEGA 8U2 , yes with free shipping included in price. So right now msp430 LaunchPad is not a deal anymore, like it was 2 years ago.

What we need is cheap chinese launchpad knockoffs then.

But seriously what I like about the launchpad is the integrated debugger, Arduino is nice to start quick but debugging takes too much time and effort.

+1 on the integrated debugger, plus shipping time is also a concern--MSP430 LaunchPad says it ships in 48-72hrs, although there was a time when it shipped in a few weeks but for fast shipping for Arduino you either pay for the official goods or buy a knockoff that's still more expensive than the LaunchPad (e.g. the SainSmart UNO on Amazon w/ prime... would ship really fast but $18 is more than $10).  Otherwise ordering a "cheap" arduino from China takes weeks.

Anyway, this is way off topic here.  Curious if the original poster has had any luck?

Haven't felt this stupid in a long time... I can honestly say I had no idea there were cheap chinese knock-off Arduinos. So yes... I was comparing the $4.30 MSP430 to the $25 Leonardo or $30 Uno.

As for dmesg, here's what I think is the relavent output. It's 1279 lines long so let me know if there's more that might have missed.

[ 7297.280806] usb 3-1: new full-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[ 7297.357051] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0451, idProduct=f432
[ 7297.357062] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 7297.357068] usb 3-1: Product: Texas Instruments MSP-FET430UIF
[ 7297.357074] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: Texas Instruments
[ 7297.357078] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: 6FFF469286CD1852
[ 7297.357445] usb 3-1: ep 0x82 - rounding interval to 1024 microframes, ep desc says 2040 microframes
[ 7297.538748] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
[ 7297.538751] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: No union descriptor, testing for castrated device
[ 7297.538778] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
[ 7302.534186] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[ 7302.534190] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
[ 7307.524446] hid-generic 0003:0451:F432.0007: usb_submit_urb(ctrl) failed: -1
[ 7307.524496] hid-generic 0003:0451:F432.0007: timeout initializing reports
[ 7307.524962] hid-generic 0003:0451:F432.0007: hiddev0,hidraw4: USB HID v1.01 Device [Texas Instruments Texas Instruments MSP-FET430UIF] on usb-0000:25:00.0-1/input1

Regardless, whenever I have similar problem the 1st thing I would do is to short (i.e. connect) the TX/RX pins on the LP header block (the PC side, not the MCU side). This will allow whatever you type from the PC side be echoed back to the PC w/o going to the MCU.

This eliminates the possibility of firmware problem.

You could then use minicom or some other terminal program to connect to the port and make sure I see what I type. If this is not happening, need to trace through dmesg outputs and such.

So you tried all the above and still did not work? Your dmesg looks OK. When you test the "echo" did you set your comm. port properly? What did minicom complain about?

I did try shorting the pins. It echoed back to minicom and I could see what I typed. If I disconnected the cable, my characters stopped appearing.

I then connected my logic analyzer to the MCU pins while the sketch was running, and I could see characters being transmitted.

In minicom, I set the port for /dev/ttyACM0. In Energia, the only serial port available for selection is /dev/ttyS4. That' seems very odd as I would think it would use the same port for programming.

@@SwimDude0614

The successful echo test confirms the drivers and the LP bridge is working properly.

If you did see activities on the MCU pins you could just put back the jumper and use minicom to see if your firmware is able to talk to it (minicom). Is there something special on the Energia serial window that you need? May I ask what is the final objective of your project, may be there are other solutions.

I am not familiar w/ Energia and I would think that any client need to use /dev/ttyACM0 (or may be an alias to it?). I can only let someone else answer this.