43oh

Book Review: Getting Started with the MSP430 LaunchPad

Hi Graham,

As they say in Australian "No worries!". Let's have a virtual beer together and forget about it. I was in a bad mood this morning and over reacted. Life is too short! I am enthusiastic enough about Energia to be writing a course using it and the 430 Launchpad for radio hams who are frightened of computers. So everything has to be broken down to "Janet and John" bite sized chunks. It's a challenge. 

Like you I find the need for "Arduino Compatibility" a drawback. But on the plus side it has opened up the MSP430 to a lot of people who wouldn't have given it a second glance. And it opens the learning gateway to "C" and the 32 bit launchpads. 

I. for one, would be interested in seeing any code examples you would care to post on using "native C" within the Energia environment.  

Kind regards,

Steve

Whoa, guys.

As this conversation brought this book to my attention and it's actually on sale in the Elsevier's store for a tenner, I just decided to give it a go.

My $0.02:

1) The target of this book are beginners, newbies etc. who want to get things done and don't be scared about some details. It's very good approach for kids for example - my little one loves to put few pieces together in Scratch on RPi and have a blinking LED, or running light on the LED bar. She loves it (similar reaction was when I showed her CapTouch Booster pack), When she will be older I'll definitely want her to start on some high level language/IDE

2) except for a few technicalities the book itself is nicely written. Language is simple, explaining most of the concepts in simple, human terms. There was mentioning about "languages"  here, I just got to this chapter and here is the full context (I hope I'm not breaking any rules giving this sample...):

"Yes, it

post-32670-0-78465600-1376252475_thumb.png

post-32670-0-43408400-1376252731_thumb.png

post-32670-0-23279100-1376253002_thumb.png

post-32670-0-56931000-1376253090_thumb.png

@@Rei Vilo: thanks for the link. However - it was just an example, I found more images like this in the book.

One more thing I found out: I tried to print out some examples. It's just unreadable - you can barely see the coloured syntax on paper. And of course you cannot use "print text as black" function, because ... yep it's an image.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Since I may be part of the target audience for this book (complete novice at electronics and programming) I thought I would put my 2 cents in. I'm enjoying the book quite a bit, and getting a grasp on some of the concepts. The language is a little juvenile sometimes but I understand the context and it doesn't really bother me. I think it does a good job of explaining the basic capabilities of the msp430 and for someone like me it was money well spent. I would certainly recommend it to anyone with my level of experience.

I really wish the Elsevier web site had an errata page for the book. It would be nice to look at the Fritzing diagrams in color. I'm not sure but there may be a couple of small errors in the text, for example on page 76 where a schematic shows 2 4 ohm resistors but the text refers to a 2 ohm and a 4 ohm resistor. Or maybe there's something in that example I'm missing. If it is an error, an errata page would be useful to correct that. 

And now I have a complete rookie question, if that's ok on this thread. On page 69 of the book a 22M ohm resistor is called for. Is that Mega ohms? I'm asking because Radio Shack didn't have anything like that. He suggested using 2 10M ohm resistors in series. Think that would work for that exercise? 

Hi all,

Since I may be part of the target audience for this book (complete novice at electronics and programming) I thought I would put my 2 cents in. I'm enjoying the book quite a bit, and getting a grasp on some of the concepts. The language is a little juvenile sometimes but I understand the context and it doesn't really bother me. I think it does a good job of explaining the basic capabilities of the msp430 and for someone like me it was money well spent. I would certainly recommend it to anyone with my level of experience.

I really wish the Elsevier web site had an errata page for the book. It would be nice to look at the Fritzing diagrams in color. I'm not sure but there may be a couple of small errors in the text, for example on page 76 where a schematic shows 2 4 ohm resistors but the text refers to a 2 ohm and a 4 ohm resistor. Or maybe there's something in that example I'm missing. If it is an error, an errata page would be useful to correct that. 

And now I have a complete rookie question, if that's ok on this thread. On page 69 of the book a 22M ohm resistor is called for. Is that Mega ohms? I'm asking because Radio Shack didn't have anything like that. He suggested using 2 10M ohm resistors in series. Think that would work for that exercise? 

I had trouble finding those exercise, as the page numbers are totally different in my case. But I found it.

1) the schematic is wrong - it should be one 2 Ohm and one 4 Ohm.

2) as long as you use in the range of mega Ohms, you will be fine (10M is ok).

Thanks Kodi. So I could use two 10 Mohm resistors in series, or just one 10Mohm?

Adding resistors in series adds their resistances together. If you "need" 22M ohm, 10M ohm is not 22M ohm so no, you can't just do that.

If you can't find a single resistor to meet the need, resistors can be put in serial and parallel.

So if you "need" 22M ohm, 4 resistors in series: two 10M ohm and two 1M ohm in series; that would meet that requirement.

@@abecedarian - @@tnjeff doesn't need the exact value for this exercise - basically it acts as a pull-up resistor, and he will be grounding it via the body resistance (using a spoon as an input button ;)).

@@tnjeff - in spirit of learning something new, please try it with one resistor and then with two in series. Next look up the Ohms Law, value of resistance of human body (or try to measure the latter one with a multimeter) and resistance divider (the last one is explained in the same chapter of the book).

@@tnjeff

I'm not saying I'm correct or not. I don't even know exactly what was being done. Whatever it was, the impression was left that a 22M ohm resistor was needed and that's all I was trying to address.

@@kodi

No worries from me. ;-) I'm still trying to figure out resistor dividers and op-amps. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...