username

Reflow Oven Booster Pack

Howdy all,

Got out of college recently so I got a tad bit more time. Figured I finish off my reflow project properly since i've been getting alot of requests for kits. I'm in the process of developing a through-hole based reflow oven kit that would be easy for any hobbyist to assemble.

Source Code: https://github.com/NateZimmer/Reflow_Oven_Kit
Schematic: Printing Print Schematic.pdf

post-664-0-25532100-1371189706_thumb.jpg
post-664-0-10039400-1371189703_thumb.jpg

post-664-0-54125300-1371189707_thumb.jpg
post-664-0-75793800-1371189704_thumb.jpg

Deluxe Kit includes and features:
- 1x 2.2" Touch LCD Display
- Discrete Cold Compensation Circuit 
- A high temp low thermal mass thermocouple
- A high Current Solid State Relay
- A RGB LED
- Optional Female Header interface for launchpad
- Optional External Power interface for wall supply.
Price: 50 USD + Shipping

Standard kit includes and features:
- 1x Nokia 5110 Display
- Discrete Cold Compensation Circuit 
- A high temp low thermal mass thermocouple
- A high Current Solid State Relay
- Optional Female Header interface for launchpad
- Optional External Power interface for wall supply.
Price: 40 USD + Shipping

I'll try to get a video up soon. Anyhow, standard kit is on hold for now. A couple deluxe kits would be available in a few days hopefully.
Pushed back 4 weeks so I can do some more testing, development, and get parts from china =P

post-664-0-79719900-1373015753_thumb.gif

Most certainly an IR oven if you can find one. The IR ovens I designed for NDSU used a "Black-Decker-FC300-Infrawave-Countertop-Oven". Its a nice IR oven with powerful elements.

Not sure who to pick for a distributor but a google search yielded these:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Black-Decker-FC300-Infrawave-Countertop-Oven/3206156/product.html

http://www.cheapgoodsz.com/black-decker-black-decker-fc300-toaster-oven-p-14097.html

The walmart model that I bought appears to be no longer in stock anywhere. Sadly the IR ovens didn't quite have the commercial appeal to motivate alot of companies to make them. However, they are still darn useful.

Hi Nate,

Excellent work on your oven AND congratulations on graduating.

Yes, I want one of the delux kits. Send me a IM with ordering.

Howdy all,

Thanks for the interest in the booster pack. Regrettably I had to ship out for a new PCB because my lovely 3-32V relays are not quite.... 3-32V. They were more like 5V @ 10mA which becomes a problem when trying to power it a course with the launchpad. Consequently I created a cheap charge pump to boost the voltage such that the launchpad would work without an additional power supply. Those boards will probably be here in another 4 weeks. My apologies for the delay. 

Wow Nate, very very cool!!

I need this, where do I send money to?  I just developed a small circuit to work with my car's tachometer and most everything is SMT stuff.  I was unsure about the cheap 400 dollar ebay units, but now that I found this, I like you design much much better.  My control senses the tach pulse and changes the gauges backlight color to yellow at a certain rpm then red at a higher rpm. 

post-33177-0-03010900-1372871933_thumb.jpg

post-33177-0-11970200-1372871958_thumb.jpg

I posted the idea on my forum, and people are liking the concept.  Where do you guys buy cheap stencils for the pasting process, and for the matter leaded paste?

Sorry for the thread hi jack.

Thanks

Hey timothynd28,

Thanks for your interest! My new boards in the process of being shipped and will hopefully arrive in ~2weeks. Once I verify the new boards I'll be ready to ship. Should be able to easily reflow that project of yours. Once i'm ready i'll send you a PM for a paypal address.

As far as stencils go, the use of stencils can be advantageous depending on your build quantity. Most of my projects have been low enough quantity that it proves easier and cheaper to simply apply the solder paste using a syringe. In which case, I would recommend the following: http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1200005 . Note that both processes certainly take some practice before you can use them efficiently and without error. However, if your dead set on stencils, there are Chinese fab houses that will print stainless steel stencils for quite cheap. Never used one but if your interested in using one, i'd look there.

In regards to the cheap Chinese ovens:

I know it probably sounds like I have conflicting interests when I say this, but do not buy the cheap 300-400 USD T-962 ovens on ebay. I bought one for our school with funding and the thing was a piece of junk and would discolor silkscreen and burn soldermask. It was only good for about 2" by 2" boards and with anything larger, it would discolor the board in some places while not even re-flowing components that were a couple inches away. Also it has a noisy fan and took well over 10 minutes per board. Needless to say i'm not a fan of those and would recommend you build your own using an IR oven.

Thanks for the tips, I can't tell you how close I came from buying that cheap eBay unit!  The board is being built by International circuits and should be ready in about 10 days from now.  Is there any chance that you're willing to sell your prototype board? 

Hello!

Your design is interested, just do not understand the connection of the operational amplifier.

Why have not applied MAX6675. I myself have been using it successfully.

An operational amplifier is chosen such a scheme, its very linear.

post-33253-0-72424800-1373799728_thumb.gif

Woohoo, finally got my new rev in. Charge pump works flawlessly so new revs work perfectly. Built 3 of em up and tested and tested them. Works been kinda keeping me busy so I haven't been able to move as fast with getting these kits out as I would have hoped.

post-664-0-42322400-1374435246_thumb.jpg

Your design is interested, just do not understand the connection of the operational amplifier.

Yup, connections of the op amp are the only little ip I retain in the project to prevent brainless cloning. If I ever get back the original investment I put into the project i'd be happy to share it. :smile: Its certainly nothing complex but it allows me to filter the thermocouple for about 20 cents total.

Apart from the 3 fully assembled I should have 5 deluxe kits ready soon. Gotta re order 1 part from digikey then follow up on all my PMs.