PolkaDot 12 Posted May 29, 2013 Share Posted May 29, 2013 Recently had my first go at printing a board and soldering surface-mount components. It's a straight-forward breakout for an FT230XS. Technique: On the etching side, I used a 2:1 mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide solution and Muratic Acid. Initially clear, it turned a lovely neon green when the copper started reacting! Etch took maybe 5-6 minutes. I used an "ultra fine tip" Sharpie as the resist; learned the hard way that the 'Micron' brand of super fine tip pens doesn't work for this application :-( . I was struggling to mark the pads with the sharpie, so instead I drew a dark box across an entire row of pins then used a type of dental pick to scratch a fine line between adjacent pads. Seemed to work pretty well! I had bought a syringe of solder paste for the occasion, but ultimately I couldn't make it cooperate--globs kept bridging pins. Eventually I just put down solder on all the pads, put some flux on the pins and reflowed that way. Anyhow, it was a somewhat messy learning experience, but hopefully next I'll print/mount the whole module. Will keep you posted! Fred, Rickta59, cubeberg and 3 others 6 Quote Link to post Share on other sites
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.