post-32560-0-37139700-1369714865_thumb.jpg

this is a gameboy developed using msp430g2553, and 2 shift registers, 74595... it includes 8x8 led matrix, which is build on the board....
watch the video at....

steps of construction are here... http://www.instructables.com/id/Gameboy-using-MSP430/

post-32560-0-17815000-1369714884_thumb.jpg

post-32560-0-56911200-1369714824_thumb.jpg

post-32560-0-52016800-1369714829_thumb.jpg

main.c

post-32560-0-67532200-1369765434_thumb.png

gameboy.pdf

gameboy.sch

Really cool!

Just a small request - can you confirm the connections to the '595 shift registers when you have a moment?

Your included schematic is unclear to me in a few areas.    I suspect you are using 16 bit transfers with:

-  shift reg clock connected to latch clock - both driven by 430  (pin?)

-  Reset tied high and Enable tied low

-  Serial data into one 595, driven by 430 (pin?)

-  D7 out from one shift register cascaded to Din of the next one.

Did you use CCS for this?

Looking forward to hearing from you and trying out your cool project !

Very cool! I've definitely thought the MSP430 has potential as a portable game platform or even a modern version of the old TRS-80 Model 100. There was a hackaday article a while back about someone retrofitting an old model100 with ARM but I bet the ultralow power attributes of the MSP430 might make the original promise (20hrs on a set of AA batts) met & exceeded.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk

Veryalive

yes, i havent shown the PERFCT diagram, but as you can see in the INSTRUCTABLES i have shown these connection very clear in one image, showing the ACTUAL connections on the board.... here also i have uploaded it... see it...

http://forum.43oh.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=3934

the connections i have shown here are the ONLY connections which are must connected exactly, to run the code neatly on your board...

-  shift reg clock connected to latch clock - both driven by 430  (pin?) 

shift clock is not connected to latch, they both are different, shift clock comes from msp430g2553's spi sclk pin, i.e P1.5, and the latch clock is p1.4

-  Reset tied high and Enable tied low

yes, reset is active low, or we can say that it resets on falling edge...

-  Serial data into one 595, driven by 430 (pin?)

p1.7

-  D7 out from one shift register cascaded to Din of the next one.

yeah

-  Did you use CCS for this?

ofcourse

i have written this in the begining of the code

/*
 * pin configuration -
 * p1.0 - switch1
 * p1.1 - switch2
 * p1.2 - switch3
 * p1.3 - switch4
 * p1.4 - latch clock
 * p1.5 - shift clock
 * p2.0 - switch5
 * p2.1 - switch6
 * p2.2 - switch7
 * p1.7 - data output
 */

i have made a little changes in the schematic diagram for you, now see if you can understand the connections nicely.... i have named the wires, see it here, i have replaced the schematic diagram....

my advice is to see the instructable's page first and then act on it...to understand the schematic diagram nicely, you have to know the pins of 74595 and msp430gs2553, then you will get which clock pin or data pin is connected to wat...
sorry i didnt have much time to draw a neat diagram so i just made a rough one, the data is shifted twice in the registers, so that it becomes a 16 bit data, 8 bit for the anodes and 8 for cathodes of the matrix... feel free to ask any questions, because when i started to make it, i knew no one who had made this kind of project by msp430... :smile:

thanks man, i havent seen the working of TRS-80 model 100, and i dont know anything about it >.< but thanks, power was never a thing for me actually, my thing was using each button as an interrupt, i.e. using 7 buttons and a 8x8 screen with 16 pins of msp430, and in that also there were a few pins which werent used, and this system is pretty heavy to be made at home due to so many inputs and outputs.... thanks for your comment, i hope you can give me a few more ideas to work on... :smile:

i havent seen the working of TRS-80 model 100, and i dont know anything about it >.< 

here is one  :smile:

IMAG0561.jpg

Model 100, 32K ROM, 8K RAM.

Launchpad g2553, 16K Flash, 0.5K RAM.

I envy you Model 100.

Great build, but this is Pong via MSP430, not Gameboy... a technicality, yes, but technically it should be possible to build Gameboy with one or two MSP430's, if one were so inclined to spend a few hundred hours for a project with minimal upside.  :)

well, i named it gameboy, because i didnt design it for  only the pingpong, it can have many more games in it, so i thought it would be better to call it a gameboy...

but actually, i think i have never used a gameboy myself, so i dont know the exact concept of it... [oops]