Rei Vilo

Energia framework on Eclipse?

You can also try CCSv6 from TI as well. You can import your Energia sketch now. It will continue to use GCC as the compiler.

They have just released an early adopter version: http://processors.wi...index.php/CCSv6.

I just downloaded and tried CCS6 on linux debian wheezy. It did seem to work on the simple AsciiTable example. I didn't try anything using libs or complicated. You point at where your Energia install directory is located and CCS uses that to create a makefile that sets up Energia's msp430-gcc as the compiler. Darn! I was hoping that CCS6 would be including the new msp430-gcc created by Red Hat. Which I guess would be dumb if you want to use it with the shipping Energia.

Debugging still doesn't work. But TI has already said that will never work with the V1.5 launchpads. And given the fact that it is using the Energia toolchain I wasn't expecting anything different. You can use the command line mspdebug and msp430-gdb outside of CCS to debug your Energia projects.

Seems like indexing isn't 100 percent. It should know which mcu I'm using and use the defines in the appropriate header file. For an msp430g2553 that would be "msp430g2553.h". However it does allow you to right click and open declarations of functions/variable/defines. However, it doesn't seem to know which mmcu I selected. Looking at source to Hardware.cpp in the library project. Chunks of code are disabled based on the defines that shouldn't be. It doesn't know that __MSP430_HAS_USCI__ is defined in msp430g2553.h. So unfortunately, that code appears as disabled even though it is used and linked with my elf file. To get around this temporarily, I added

#include <msp430g2553.h> and re indexed. That seemed to make the indexer happy. TI should be looked at this problem. In vanilla Eclipse, I get the proper indexing based on mmcu.

On a good note, this is the first version of CCS I've used on linux that seems to be as snappy as my vanilla Eclipse install. All the previous ones felt like there was molasses in the bits.

-rick

The installation took a long time compared to previous ones I've tried.  At first I thought it was dead as it got stuck in one spot for a long time. However a quick look in the process monitor revealed it was using cpu, memory and disk so I let it continue without killing it.

-rick

Gotta add, CCSv6 on Windows 7 Starter on a tiny netbook (intel atom 1.5GHz) is passably usable now, huge improvement over CCSv5. Only doing Hercules stuff with it though but the UI updates and responds just about as fast as I expect it to.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

@@Rei Vilo

I have read that there is some "special" mode to put Win8 into when you need to install unsigned drivers. This may or may not be relevant for you ? I do not know what it is called exactly but it something similar to running in safe mode for previous versions( but not exactly safe mode ).

Personally I think ill be perfectly happy with Energias tool chain, and code::blocks for quite some time. But i also do not plan on owning or using an 2955 or equivalent mmcu ever either.

@@yyrkoon

Thank you for your message.

I have read that there is some "special" mode to put Win8 into when you need to install unsigned drivers. This may or may not be relevant for you ? I do not know what it is called exactly but it something similar to running in safe mode for previous versions( but not exactly safe mode ).

Yes, there is a standard procedure. I've used this one available in PDF: Installing Unsigned Drivers in Windows 8

Personally I think ill be perfectly happy with Energias tool chain, and code::blocks for quite some time. But i also do not plan on owning or using an 2955 or equivalent mmcu ever either.

So am I on my MacBook. I'm using the Energia framework with a template I've developed for Xcode: embedXcode.

I'm sorry ,I commented to soon  ,
Changing Build from Debug to release and then clicking debug worked .

(A delete comment button would be really useful)