43oh

Serial at 500kbps?

I did a stupid thing: I set an elm327 clone to 500kbps, then I discovered that my usb to serial doesn't work at that speed, so I can't communicate with it (or maybe it's the elm327 that doesn't work at that speed, but I don't have an oscilloscope to check).

Will a stellaris launchpad be able to send at 500kbps using energia? Nothing fancy, just blindly send the commands to set the elm327 to a lower speed.

TIA.

Yes, the chip is a pl2303hxd, in minicom I can set the speed exactly to 500kbps, but it doesn't work. I guess that the driver accepts the speeds but internally converts it to another one (Edit checking the source that's exactly the case). Either that, or simply the elm327 isn't working at 500kbps.

Interesting that the MSP430 can work at 1Mbps, is that possible with the launchpad or does it need custom circuitry?

AFAIK, PL2303HXD is best USB-UART bridge chip, that support any baud rate till 2 Mbps, and can go till 12 Mbps. Unfortunately, Profilic made completely wrong approach to (Windows) driver support, and chip is locked to few standard baud rates.

post-26480-0-23607200-1369209603_thumb.gif

I was needed some other baud rates (under Win XP), so I made my own driver update application.

post-26480-0-86334100-1369209573_thumb.gif

MSP430 UART can work at 1 Mbps, chip itself, not related to Launchpad or ony kind of board.

AFAIK, PL2303HXD is best USB-UART bridge chip, that support any baud rate till 2 Mbps, and can go till 12 Mbps. Unfortunately, Profilic made completely wrong approach to (Windows) driver support, and chip is locked to few standard baud rates.

And the Linux driver did the same mistake, but I think it's because this commit came after this one

I was needed some other baud rates (under Win XP), so I made my own driver update application.

Interesting, my search for "pl2303 custom baud rate" didn't find it. Is it available somewhere? What does it exactly do? (just to know if it'd be safe to remove the check for a supported baud rate in the Linux driver).