43oh

Any good source(s) for launchpad/RF2500/1.27mm connectors?

They have a lot of those pin header sets on AliExpress.com, but I still don't see any right-angle female headers.  Weird.  Lots of 1.27mm pitch headers (including right-angle) and for very cheap:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-sets-1-27mm-Single-Row-Straight-Male-Female-Pin-Header-40Pins-X-10pcs/623864215.html

That's a male/female matched set but straight.  I wonder, making your own board that mates to the eZ430 connector, maybe having SMD pads reach near the edge of the board you could solder the straight female headers sideways onto those.

That's a male/female matched set but straight.  I wonder, making your own board that mates to the eZ430 connector, maybe having SMD pads reach near the edge of the board you could solder the straight female headers sideways onto those.

Interesting idea, the launchpad's connectors are already pretty close to the edge, will see if it works when I get some of those connectors delivered.

You could just stick them in with a spacer, then bend them over.

I've done this once or twice.  On the 0.8mm boards, I would not recommend it.  In one case, I'm pretty sure I somehow damaged a connection, either an annular ring itself or the trace into it.

Digikey and Mouser have the best selections for these things, but you can always go to the website of the vertical header manufacturer's page, find the comparable right angle part number, and plug that into findchips.com.  I think I've done that in the past, with some success.

I  wonder, making your own board that mates to the eZ430 connector, maybe having SMD pads reach near the edge of the board you could solder the straight female headers sideways onto those.

I have also tried that.  It turns out that the connection becomes very frangible, and if you pick up the board assembly you are liable to break the joints.  The best bet is to get right angle headers.  The next best is to use vertical headers, and just connect the board sideways.

I've done this once or twice.  On the 0.8mm boards, I would not recommend it.  In one case, I'm pretty sure I somehow damaged a connection, either an annular ring itself or the trace into it.

I have the thinest seeed boards, and it didn't cause issues. But just make sure you are bending them before you solder. That's how the issues happen. And the male right angle 0.05" are not that rare, but female ones are.