43oh

Interesting find seen at radioshack...

I was at radioshack the other day, and look what I see hanging on the shelf. I wonder if the creators of those boards know seeed is selling them in a retail fashion... Kinda makes me leery of having them make stuff alittle not knowing if they will kit my stuff out enmass like this?

These were arduino shields, and they had like 6 different ones on the shelf.

What do you guys think?

post-7036-0-85897500-1367599607_thumb.jpg

I can't find the reference right now, but I think Seeed, does have a royalty sharing program for designers, similar to Adafruit and Sparkfun. Though there are so many Touch TFT Shields out there that I doubt this is some kind of unique design.

Anyways, I don't see any difference whether Seeed sells something through their website or traditional retail channels. The more the merrier.

[rant](not directed at anyone above)

It's a personal pet peeve of mine, that many in the OS community complain about rules imposed on them by software and hardware companies, but then turn around and put up "unwritten" rules about what others can do with open source. It's a bit like the bible thumpers that complain about the state taking away their freedom, but have no qualms imposing their rules on others.

[/rant]

[rant](not directed at anyone above)

It's a personal pet peeve of mine, that many in the OS community complain about rules imposed on them by software and hardware companies, but then turn around and put up "unwritten" rules about what others can do with open source. It's a bit like the bible thumpers that complain about the state taking away their freedom, but have no qualms imposing their rules on others.

[/rant]

*coughcoughMakerbotcoughcough*

I've been looking into the boost c++ library library lately. They have a separate licencing model because they want their libraries to be free, but do not want to demand openness. GPL and the like demand you to publish either the licence our both the licence and the source code. The boost licence explicitly grants the right to use the code without mentioning it, except when distributing the source of the library itself.

This enables commercial business to use these libraries without risking to be forced to open up their own source code.

when I first saw these, my thought was of someone having them put together a kit for them through their site, then them going around and making a ton of that kit and selling it without asking the original maker.  if there are agreements in place then cool.  but at the same time i don't expect everything I send to seeed fusion or elecrow or whoever to be considered open source, if it is open source to begin with then all is cool...  

err im rambling now ;)

I can't find the reference right now, but I think Seeed, does have a royalty sharing program for designers, similar to Adafruit and Sparkfun. Though there are so many Touch TFT Shields out there that I doubt this is some kind of unique design.

There are a few of 43oh boards on Seeed as a test. Yes, they pay royalty on each board sold(after a batch sells, which has not happened yet). They are only allowed to sell it at SeeedStudio.