Sign in to follow this  
bluehash

Launchpad Hardware Revision - Anyone know about this?

I just found this on the TI e2e forums. I wish I knew about this before. They had a poll out, which closed last month.

http://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontroll ... 86277.aspx

Hello MSP430 e2e-ers!

We would like to call on the online community to help us determine the future of the MSP430 Value Line LaunchPad development kit. The Value Line microcontroller family (MSP430G2xx) is growing and will soon feature integrated hardware UART in future devices.

With this new feature, we may update LaunchPad so that it can directly interface with these devices. Please, review the proposals here, and let us know your opinion via the online poll. The poll will be open until Jan 20, 2011.

If you have any other ideas or comments, let us know by responding to the poll.

As always, thanks for supporting MSP430! LaunchPad was built specifically with our online community in mind, so we're excited at the opportunity to hear everyone's thoughts!

Someone later in the comments suggested another solution that seemed better than the ones offered in the poll: just swap the programmer side header pin and the chip side header pin on one of the lines. Placing jumpers the normal way sends the signals to the current pins. Placing the jumpers 90 degrees off sends the signals to the opposite lines. Brilliant! :D

A-IN     B-OUT
Header:
                  A-OUT    B-IN

Jumpers vertical   == A-IN to A-OUT and B-IN to B-OUT
Jumpers horizontal == A-IN to B-OUT and B-IN to A-OUT

I added my two cents to that poll. I didn't see it as a really big issue. It's not like I wouldn't be aware of any changes they made to the board.

I thought they were making a mountain out of a molehill.

I agree with Zeke. With all the engineering expertise at TI, why would they make such a silly post? Advertising the up-n'-coming value line devices with built-in UART?

Personally I'd be happy if they "improved" the LP by breaking out the serial signals from the TUSB3410 IC (grin)...

Cheerful regards, Mike