sparky

New $45 Beaglebone

@spirilis  request :smile:

here are the photos from our Texas Based- Beagle Bone Black launch. 

We went to CircuitCo (the people who are helping with the BYOBoosterpack contest) where BeagleBoard's birthplace is. 

There should be better blogs coming out later. (most took on my iphone)

I'm interested to see if we can run the software that comes on the BB Black on the original one (I have 3 if anyone wants to try it out). 

hope that helps 

Wish it was. TI does not produce the BeagleBoard.... Beagleboard.org does.

Actually this painfully true, you'd think it would be easy to get a hold of one of these for myself because we work at TI, but I'm in line to get mine from Adafruit. 

What's really exciting about this version (besides all of the upgrades and the price) is that they have a very simplified software interface that uses the same energia commands inside a web-server IDE (plug in the board and get it started). Anything to get more people into hardware design is a win in my book!

@spirilis  request :smile:

here are the photos from our Texas Based- Beagle Bone Black launch. 

We went to CircuitCo (the people who are helping with the BYOBoosterpack contest) where BeagleBoard's birthplace is. 

There should be better blogs coming out later. (most took on my iphone)

hope that helps 

Wow.. thanks! That's a nice sneakpeak. Thanks.

That's really cool seeing the full panels of boards!  Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

It is, if you ever get down to Texas, put CircuitCo on your list to tour. They are super open to have people come and visit and they are only 3 miles from TI. 

Kenneth Finnegan did a blog post on his tour: http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/2012/08/tour-of-circuitco-pcb-solutions.html

Actually this painfully true, you'd think it would be easy to get a hold of one of these for myself because we work at TI, but I'm in line to get mine from Adafruit. 

Looks like I understood wrong. 

A good active community around the beaglebone black would be great. Personally I do not like google groups much, and E2E forums never appealed to me either. Having other people to talk to about various aspects would be great.

Hmm, mine just shipped!

Carrier Name: Parcel Post
   Carrier Service: POST FOBS                                                                                                                               
   Shipment Date: 04/24/2013 16:17:32

The email originally said 5/13.

Hmm, mine just shipped!

I'm jealous.

Are you a beagle expert?  I got-in to beagle in 2010 for a project, but I don't work too much with beagleboards/beaglebones anymore.  Unfortunately I don't do enough high-performance work that I need to go to beagles very often.  But my roots are signal & image processing, so I love anything with a VPU in it.  A 1 GHz SBC with a VPU for $45?  Crazy times!  I'm working on some radio technologies now, so if a customer asks for a sophisticated base-station, it is a no-brainer what to build it on top-of.

I'm jealous.

Are you a beagle expert?  I got-in to beagle in 2010 for a project, but I don't work too much with beagleboards/beaglebones anymore.  Unfortunately I don't do enough high-performance work that I need to go to beagles very often.  But my roots are signal & image processing, so I love anything with a VPU in it.  A 1 GHz SBC with a VPU for $45?  Crazy times!  I'm working on some radio technologies now, so if a customer asks for a sophisticated base-station, it is a no-brainer what to build it on top-of.

This'll be my first.  I have had a curiosity about embedded Linux platforms for years, TBH the idea of Linux on a phone has been a dream of mine since 2002 or so... Android brought that to life but it's still not quite what I had in mind.  The carriers just restrict it too much IMO (root is always an ordeal, once you have it you typically can't receive O/S upgrades et al).

The BB or RPi is closer to the mark, RPi I skipped because in the months after its release the "issues" all came out (USB current, lack of drivers for SPI/I2C, etc) and I figured something better would eventually come along.  And it has!  A short-term use I may have soon for it is outside video surveillance; the BBBlack would have a decent (i.e. not a cheap POS) USB-WiFi transceiver and expose (as a netfilter router) basically an outdoor ethernet switch setup in a waterproofed box for some outdoor surveillance cameras I have.  Currently I own 2 outdoor cams with their own WiFi but they cut out from time to time... plus some of the nicer cams don't have WiFi.  Likewise as the backbone of a motorcycle camera rig, the BBBlack could do video recording for me there.  As a low-power extensible Linux server to pop in remote places, well, that's another use I have in mind.  I'm betting the BBBlack will be overpowered for some of these but the cost and bang-for-the-buck just make it irresistible now.

FYI- Got some DipTrace pattern & component libraries going for the BeagleBone.  (Never checked to see if one already existed, as I almost always roll my own anyway...)

Will validate the pattern against the real deal when I get mine, but for now it matches the drawing in the system guide.

diptrace_beagleboneblack.zip

This'll be my first.  I have had a curiosity about embedded Linux platforms for years, TBH the idea of Linux on a phone has been a dream of mine since 2002 or so... Android brought that to life but it's still not quite what I had in mind.  The carriers just restrict it too much IMO (root is always an ordeal, once you have it you typically can't receive O/S upgrades et al).

The BB or RPi is closer to the mark, RPi I skipped because in the months after its release the "issues" all came out (USB current, lack of drivers for SPI/I2C, etc) and I figured something better would eventually come along.  And it has!  A short-term use I may have soon for it is outside video surveillance; the BBBlack would have a decent (i.e. not a cheap POS) USB-WiFi transceiver and expose (as a netfilter router) basically an outdoor ethernet switch setup in a waterproofed box for some outdoor surveillance cameras I have.  Currently I own 2 outdoor cams with their own WiFi but they cut out from time to time... plus some of the nicer cams don't have WiFi.  Likewise as the backbone of a motorcycle camera rig, the BBBlack could do video recording for me there.  As a low-power extensible Linux server to pop in remote places, well, that's another use I have in mind.  I'm betting the BBBlack will be overpowered for some of these but the cost and bang-for-the-buck just make it irresistible now.

One of the very first things I want to do with the BBB is to see how well it runs the scrypt mining algo . . . I'm not expecting much, but thought it would be cool to see how well it would do anyhow.

The two wulf ordered are due out to ship on the 5th . . . so we'll see how soon they get here.