43oh

43oh Nokia 1202 LCD Display BoosterPack

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Figured I'd post here for the hell of it ... After several days of trials & tribulations, I got the 1202 to show up reliably on the Hercules TMS570 LaunchPad using FreeRTOS--I actually wrote a dri

Ok I d/l'ed Eagle to view the schematic and .brd file, took a pic of the boosterpack and annotated it for quick reference:   Not too sure about the LCD reset line, it's attached to both P2.1 and t

Traditionally wouldn't you connect the mcu pin to the transistor base and the LED cathode to the collector (opposite of what is in the schematic)?  Unless there is a trick I don't know about transisto

Posted Images

Version 2.2 update shifts the connector 1mm to the right so the LCD is better centered (found this minor glitch when I soldered a new LCD onto the v2.1 bpak), and the ground plane no longer intrudes on the SPI MOSI solder jumper so it's easier to cut.

post-15991-0-47602900-1372688511_thumb.png

post-15991-0-15422100-1372688517_thumb.png

post-15991-0-85027300-1372688523_thumb.png

Seeed/ITead/Elecrow gerbers: Elecrow_Nokia1202_v2_2_5x5.zip

OSHpark gerbers: OSH_Nokia1202_v2_2.zip

Nice project. Would it be possible to fit 4 buttons in a future version.

Is a transistor really needed for the backlight? Cant you run it straight from the mcu?

Lars

You probably could.  I was being on the safe side I guess... I think the original thread from dangerousprototypes they said the backlight will draw 20mA with no limiting resistor, so that is a good case for using a transistor with the MSP430 at least.  Reasonable ~500ohm limiter puts it in the 8mA zone I think, still probably a good idea with the MSP430's pins...

On the display board I made, I used a transistor first, but then realized later I could just run it directly from a pin, through a limiting resistor.

The reason I am asking for more buttons is that this looks like a good board to replace the one I made earlier, but may not make any more. The lcd I used is similar size and quality, but has to be bought in obscene minimum quantities. It was quite popular, so good for the community if this can replace it. I had one button and one touch option, and I thought maybe I could make a touch extension board to attach on top of yours. To allow use of cap touch buttons instead if tactile ones.

Then I would need 4 pins broken out from your board, preferably all from port 2, and could design some different types of touch pads to attach onto your board.

On the display board I made, I used a transistor first, but then realized later I could just run it directly from a pin, through a limiting resistor.

The reason I am asking for more buttons is that this looks like a good board to replace the one I made earlier, but may not make any more. The lcd I used is similar size and quality, but has to be bought in obscene minimum quantities. It was quite popular, so good for the community if this can replace it. I had one button and one touch option, and I thought maybe I could make a touch extension board to attach on top of yours. To allow use of cap touch buttons instead if tactile ones.

Then I would need 4 pins broken out from your board, preferably all from port 2, and could design some different types of touch pads to attach onto your board.

I gotcha ... Do you have a link to some pics and schematic for the old board?  Did it fit the TI boosterpack standard or was it a different kind of board?

edit: Hmm, yeah, thinking more about that now.  Could probably work out a boosterpack with 4 buttons and 5 PTH pads (4 lines + GND) around the pushbutton area to replace it.

Std boosterpack. You can see pics on http://lars.roland.bz/lcd but also her on 43oh.com. They were sold in the store. I am on a phone now, so difficult to find the right links. During design, I also wondered if I should have gone for a tactile joystick. They are quite cheap at dx.com, but four tactile buttons are cheaper.

I think a cap touch addon board which raises the touch board a few mm and makes the display and touch pads at the same level is a good idea when mounting inside a box. See the 43oh thread on my display board for pictures of box mounting.

I have some touch test boards at home and will try with your board when I sm back from holiday. But having 4 pinouts would have been better for me, as I could then use 4 separate buttons.

4 pth plus ground as you suggest would be ideal. But I have had issues with port 1 for touch, so if you can spare 4 pins from port 2, I know that will work.

Edit: the closer to the display the 5 pth are, the better, I think. Then the 5 pth can be on top of the touch board and not in the middle of the buttons. Not sure what is easy for you yo design in.

Edit 2: screw holes on each side of the display connector would make it easy to test if a press-on solution is sufficient instead if soldering.

• 2 weeks later...