43oh

43oh Nokia 1202 LCD Display BoosterPack

Hi Guys, I'm sorry, but I'm way backed up on other stuff to do at my day job. If you find any issues with the board, feel free to change it and agree on a design. Also, having a breakout for the the pins will be good as one of you guys suggested. For the transistor, I think I just shorted it out for the backlight.

Let me know a final design, I'll have it fabbed and send you guys the replacement.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Figured I'd post here for the hell of it ... After several days of trials & tribulations, I got the 1202 to show up reliably on the Hercules TMS570 LaunchPad using FreeRTOS--I actually wrote a dri

Ok I d/l'ed Eagle to view the schematic and .brd file, took a pic of the boosterpack and annotated it for quick reference:   Not too sure about the LCD reset line, it's attached to both P2.1 and t

Traditionally wouldn't you connect the mcu pin to the transistor base and the LED cathode to the collector (opposite of what is in the schematic)?  Unless there is a trick I don't know about transisto

Posted Images

No problem, we'll come up with something!

For the wishlist here's what I'm thinking:

1. LP header pins will have some SMD pads on the *bottom* side with all solder-jumpers & cap/resistor pads on the bottom side too (declutter the top)

2. LCD function pin breakout up top just like bluehash's boosterpack

3. LCD RESET line should have a broken solder jumper connecting it to an I/O pin (e.g. P2.1), and a pre-connected SJ connecting it to the launchpad RESET line.  Within the LCD's RESET net, pads for pullup resistor and pulldown in case the user wants to hold the LCD in a default state before the I/O pin is configured to drive it.  These would obviously be left unpopulated if the user is just using the LP RESET.  So the default configuration for the boosterpack is the LCD RESET is driven by LP's RESET, but can be changed & tweaked if the user likes.

4. NPN transistor for the Backlight LED cathode, resistor inline with either anode or cathode and resistor on the base.

5. Pushbutton footprints include extra overhang for easily soldering SMD pushbuttons too

6. Optional hardware debounce pads for the pushbuttons; SMD capacitor and SMD resistor pads, with a solder jumper in parallel that can be cut so the pushbutton is forced to use the resistor.

7. SPI defaults to USI pinout but with solder jumpers like this version, the user can remap to USCI_A or _B if they'd like.

First take on the schematic-

How's it look so far?  Apologies if the schematic is big, I have become drunk with ARCH D sized schematics (I never print them out fwiw :grin: )

Edit: New revision of the schematic, board gerbers listed in the next post correspond to this:

DipTrace Schematic - Nokia1202_BPak_v2_0.pdf

DipTrace Schematic - Nokia1202_BPak_v2_0.pdf

PCB routing done-

post-15991-0-31747800-1369191997_thumb.png

post-15991-0-35400700-1369192002_thumb.png

Bottom is a bit busy but should be well documented... The OSHpark mockup doesn't properly show solderjumpers since it just shows all soldermask layer as copper, but it's set to USI by default (and LCD_RESET points to LP_RST by default)

I also tossed in some 2mm wide mounting holes up top.  Just an idea, maybe useful for hanging the project as an eye-level display or gadget (along w/ the LiPo Booster BPak?)...

Gerbers:

OSHpark (~$20 for 3): OSH_Nokia1202_v2_0.zip

Seeed/Elecrow/ITead: Seeed_Nokia1202_v2_0_5x5.zip

This is designed to fit just snug inside a 5cm x 5cm footprint for minimum cost when using the Chinese PCB houses.  (I noticed the v1.0 board was a tad larger than 5cm on one dimension)

Do you need to include the solder jumper for the debounce?  Why not just spec that the resistor is jumpered (or a 0R resistor) to disable the debounce.  it would save some space

edit:  do those boards match the schematic?  The SJ numbering seems different and I'm not seeing the split MOSI lines

Oops I made some last-minute changes to the schematic and forgot to post them... one sec.

edit: While it's doable to just require that the user use a 0R shunt, having a solder jumper there makes it so the user doesn't have to do anything if they don't want HW debounce. That puts the default behavior in line with bluehash's original boosterpack.

Do you think it's best to try spacing those C & R's out a bit? There's some space above so it could be doable.

I was just thinking that solder jumper is about the same size as the pads for a 605 component....so if you don't want the filter, soldering the jumper would be virtually the same action as solder bridging the resistor....or are the solder jumpers pre-shorted in copper so that you have to cut the trace to disable it?  I think the spacing is fine...i was thinking more about the redundancy

I wonder if it would be worth leaving it as is,  and adding pads for a .1" SMD header around the solder jumper, so that you could install 90* headers pointing to the edge of the board so you can [dis|en]able the filter by adding/pulling the jumper.  I also wonder if it would be worth adding a similar header on the left side of the board with traces that bridge the emitter and collector of the transistor, so you can switch between backlight always on and MCU control by pulling a jumper.

Ahh yes, the solder jumpers are pre-shorted.  A couple are not (the USCI MOSI jumper and the P2.1 LCD_RESET jumper) although you can't visually tell in the OSHpark mockup images.

The filter isn't really disabled by just shorting the resistor, you'd have to remove the capacitor too or else you'll be quickly discharging it every time you hit the button (in a past experiment where I tried this, bad things happened resulting in the MCU resetting)

Basically the HW debounce I figure is a one-time decision you make, you either use it or not and if you don't like it, desolder the cap (the resistor could probably stay since it wouldn't work much differently than the SJ)

I do like your idea for the backlight!  Definitely adding that to the mix.

Update including an SMD 1x2 jumper on the bottom pointing out the side for forcing the backlight on (bypassing the transistor). With this you won't need the transistor or base resistor, just the 560R cathode (LED-to-collector) resistor (R2).

Schematic: DipTrace Schematic - Nokia1202_BPak_v2_0.pdf
OSHpark gerbers: OSH_Nokia1202_v2_0.zip
Elecrow/Seeed/ITead gerbers: Seeed_Nokia1202_v2_0_5x5.zip

Top:
post-15991-0-08519700-1369236015_thumb.png

Bottom:
post-15991-0-15252700-1369236021_thumb.png

Bottom copper layer (to illustrate the solder jumpers; note this view is mirrored):
post-15991-0-37322700-1369236027_thumb.png

edit: found a little glitch in one of the SJ's, stray trace overlapping

edit: Fixed, re-uploaded attachments.

is there enough room in the upper right corner for a similar 3 prong jumper?  Put the MOSI from the LCD in the middle, and P1.6 and 1.7 on either side.  That way you could switch between USI and USCI (or disable the connection completely) without soldering/cutting.  

is there enough room in the upper right corner for a similar 3 prong jumper?  Put the MOSI from the LCD in the middle, and P1.6 and 1.7 on either side.  That way you could switch between USI and USCI (or disable the connection completely) without soldering/cutting.  

Could probably do it, but I am going to make it an option (solderjumper still there, have to cut to properly use that 3-pin jumper) b/c not everyone may have right-angle SMD headers in their bin (I don't think I do anyway...)

Ok, I think this should be the last revision before sending out--I ditched the tiny solder-jumpers for SPI MOSI and instead made it a 1x3 SMD header, but with a "solder jumper" defaulting to USI.  User can leave it as is, or cut it & solder a 1x3 SMD right-angle header to allow them to switch it at will.

Promoted board to version 2.1 due to this change.

Schematic: DipTrace Schematic - Nokia1202_BPak_v2_1.pdf

OSHpark Gerbers: OSH_Nokia1202_v2_1.zip

Seeed/Elecrow/ITead Gerbers: Seeed_Nokia1202_v2_1_5x5.zip

Top:

post-15991-0-98727900-1369329189_thumb.png

Bottom:

post-15991-0-13475100-1369329198_thumb.png

Bottom copper-layer only:

post-15991-0-28834400-1369329205_thumb.png

edit: SJ numbers changed, need to update silkscreen documentation

edit: Fixed, deleted & re-uploaded attachments to this post.

Finally found some time on vacation to play with this, so I used the test "1202_lcd.zip" found off the dangerousprototypes thread, made some tweaks and got it working on the G2553.  It does a software SPI and I doctored it so the CS pin can be on a different port from the SPI (P2 vs P1).

updated version- http://spirilis.net/junk/msp430/1202_lcd.tar.gz

post-15991-0-03440600-1369773052_thumb.jpg

It does it normal (unset BG, set font) then after a short delay inverts it.  I noticed with the transistor for the backlight you can force it on by touching the transistor's leads (bridging them) with your finger... and there's a visible "flicker" in the display when you do so.  Might have to see if that's the LCD refresh (i.e. can it be tuned?) or if it's just goofiness in the transistorized backlight circuit.  Then check out that guy's code and make a more general-purpose lib (for Energia and standard C I guess) to suit.