43oh

The Booster BoosterPack - LiPo Battery Pack + USB Charger

Thanks @@bluehash!  Good point on the connectors - the one on this battery isn't one I've seen (although I honestly didn't have any LiPos until now).  I used some JST 2mm connectors with my sewable project - and they're a pain if you ever want to get them out.  I'll bend them a bit - shouldn't take too much.  

What are the exposed pads for?  Soldering a battery directly to the board?

I checked your schematic for what that other LED does - I can't figure it out either :)  

Silkscreen issues are easy to clean up - I'm very impressed so far :)  Much cleaner than the battery packs I've used for other projects.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

43oh Store  Link 43oh Doc/Wiki Link   This is a LiPo BoosterPack I have been working during my downtime . I named it Booster since it is a power pack  ;-) This should be perfect for  wireless proje

Back at this again. I've incorporated the following for a new version of the BoosterPack. A cursory check would be appreciated.   Support for 20 and 40 pin XL Boosterpacks Solder pads changed to th

on a side note, you can generate 5v from the 3.6V VCCpin the booster pack pinout provides if you use a buck-boost regulator, I did this on my USB + SD card board to give me 5V for my LEDs on the board

Posted Images

@@bluehash - I got the second BP you sent over - I turned it on - the red LED lit up and there was a puff of smoke from the LiPo connector.  The battery works fine (charges on my other board), and the regulator works as well - but the charger doesn't work on the board.  I'm not seeing any shorts - and I went over the solder joints to make sure that wasn't it - think it's just the charging IC?

@@bluehash - I got the second BP you sent over - I turned it on - the red LED lit up and there was a puff of smoke from the LiPo connector.  The battery works fine (charges on my other board), and the regulator works as well - but the charger doesn't work on the board.  I'm not seeing any shorts - and I went over the solder joints to make sure that wasn't it - think it's just the charging IC?

Hmm.. not good. Could be the charging IC. I'll send you a return label, could you mail it back to me without the battery? I'll replace the charging IC and test it up.

Hi Bluehash,

Received the board today. It looks great. Thanks Heaps.

Here are my comments/observations in addition to what cubeberg and Jwoodrell have already said. Even though I have been playing with electronics for a little while now, please remember I do have noob like tendencies. ;-)

Anyway...... Here we go....

1. Happy to pay a little more to get stackable header pins included as there were none with it.

2. As others have said it would be good to have a standard lipo connector on the board instead of the 0.1" header pins. Even better would be to have the connector as a 90 degree type so it lies flatter. This would enable full size boards to be stacked on top of it or alternatively stack the booster booster under the launchpad. This would require either moving the connector location maybe to bottom right corner or alternatively moving C2 and U1 out of the way so the connector could lay flat.

3. There is plenty of empty space on the board. How about some 3mm mounting holes strategically placed out of the way. This would then also add mountability to any launchpad, assuming the booster booster was underneath.

4. How about a second row of holes down each side. These wouldnt connect to anything but could be pass through header pins to make it stellaris friendly. Obviously only useful to a booster that uses the other pins.

5. This last idea is probably too expensive and impractical, but here it is anyway. An input for solar cells, something like this from adafruit. http://www.adafruit.com/products/390

I like where the switch is placed and that it has a long actuator. Should be able to protrude through a case.

I have just ordered some stackable headers from ebay and will try it for real when they show up. Its currently charging and is not connected to a launchpad or booster pack. Red led on and seems to be charging ok.

I'll add a bit more to this post once I give it a proper whirl.

Those are all just suggestions. It's fantastic. Better than anything I could have done.

Cheers

PTB

Hi Bluewhash,

I had exactly the same. the ic on top puffed and went to smoke. I then thought I plugged the battery with inverted polarity and the second ic puffed ;-).

Ok.. I need to check these. Did you order the Booster from the GB? I assembled the GB ones and tested them, so they should be good. I think Cube(first one), PTM and floridadrummer are using it.

The ones on the store were fabbed from a board house, so the LiPO ICs could be wrong.

Could you please email me your order no.. Also, the battery should not be turned around, you will burn out everything. I don't think I can repair it.. but I'll send over a replacement with chips ordered from digikey.

Sorry for the trouble.

Hi Bluehash,

Received the board today. It looks great. Thanks Heaps.

Here are my comments/observations in addition to what cubeberg and Jwoodrell have already said. Even though I have been playing with electronics for a little while now, please remember I do have noob like tendencies. ;-)

Anyway...... Here we go....

1. Happy to pay a little more to get stackable header pins included as there were none with it.

2. As others have said it would be good to have a standard lipo connector on the board instead of the 0.1" header pins. Even better would be to have the connector as a 90 degree type so it lies flatter. This would enable full size boards to be stacked on top of it or alternatively stack the booster booster under the launchpad. This would require either moving the connector location maybe to bottom right corner or alternatively moving C2 and U1 out of the way so the connector could lay flat.

3. There is plenty of empty space on the board. How about some 3mm mounting holes strategically placed out of the way. This would then also add mountability to any launchpad, assuming the booster booster was underneath.

4. How about a second row of holes down each side. These wouldnt connect to anything but could be pass through header pins to make it stellaris friendly. Obviously only useful to a booster that uses the other pins.

5. This last idea is probably too expensive and impractical, but here it is anyway. An input for solar cells, something like this from adafruit. http://www.adafruit.com/products/390

I like where the switch is placed and that it has a long actuator. Should be able to protrude through a case.

I have just ordered some stackable headers from ebay and will try it for real when they show up. Its currently charging and is not connected to a launchpad or booster pack. Red led on and seems to be charging ok.

I'll add a bit more to this post once I give it a proper whirl.

Those are all just suggestions. It's fantastic. Better than anything I could have done.

Cheers

PTB

Thanks for the suggestions PTB.

I like all the ideas. I can put all except the last one in the next rev.

Hmm.. not good. Could be the charging IC. I'll send you a return label, could you mail it back to me without the battery? I'll replace the charging IC and test it up.

Thanks @@bluehash - I'll send mine back today.  Orientation on the IC looks right (it's the one on the bottom, right?) - no visible issues.  I know all too well the grief that comes with boards having trouble :)  

BTW - my other board is working just fine - I'll do some more testing tonight - but charge/discharge seems to work great.  

Np.. Looks like bad LiPo IC chips. I placed an order from digikey today, which will come in tomorrow.

Try sending your package today. I'll see if I can it to you by sat.

BTW - my other board is working just fine - I'll do some more testing tonight - but charge/discharge seems to work great. 

Good to know. :thumbup:

Ok.. I need to check these. Did you order the Booster from the GB? I assembled the GB ones and tested them, so they should be good. I think Cube(first one), PTM and floridadrummer are using it.

The ones on the store were fabbed from a board house, so the LiPO ICs could be wrong.

Could you please email me your order no.. Also, the battery should not be turned around, you will burn out everything. I don't think I can repair it.. but I'll send over a replacement with chips ordered from digikey.

Sorry for the trouble.

I got mine from the store (Order  895). Do you think you new batches will be available for order on the store or even the pcbs?