43oh

Well that was a challenge, SNES USB 2.0

This is my recent project, ready for board fab.

It is a MSP430G2553 running the bbUSB stack, and talking to the controller circuitry like my other 1.2 boards.  but this one runs the USB into a 2 port hub chip, and the other port is connected to a micro-SD card so ittl show up as a memory card when you plug the controller in to the PC. there are 4 RGB leds showing out the top of the controller as a battery level bar chart, or whatever I want to use them for.  It has a 1000maH lithium battery in it, with a charge manager chip. as well as the RX/TX Lines to wire in a HC05 into the USCI_B port.  I put a buck/boost regulator in it so it can maintain its voltage off the battery as it drains, the battery charge IC automatically goes to sleep when VBUS is lower than the battery voltage, and since I'm running the + side of the battery through a shottky, it will be when running from battery, but not when plugged into USB, so it will charge the battery on its own when plugged in :smile:

overall I am proud of myself, this is easily the most complicated project I've done so far, but I can definitely say I enjoy doing hardware more than software...  hehe

I am surprised that all the traces could be connected, I kinda ran outta room.   the overall board is 35mm x 25mm, 2 sided

post-7036-0-00989400-1365224474_thumb.jpg

post-7036-0-22363000-1365223764_thumb.jpg

the only thing I couldn't implement was a push button to wake up the controller from sleep, but I can wake up periodically and poll a controller button. I just ran out of board space, 6mm of button takes up a huge footprint here.

the charlie-plexed RGB led's were the toughest to fit and route.

Its sad when your hobby starts to feel more like work, but this took a lot of my time the last few days.

here was the original plan on the system I wanted.  I still have the optional reciever board to build, but its gonna be dead simple.

post-7036-0-51903400-1365223644_thumb.jpg

it looked so simple then, all nice and neat

because of the space requirements I don't think I can.

I can get a 4 resistor isolated net that is fairly small, but it requires the same value resistors to be next to each other, and getting the signals split back apart to the LEDs i don;t think is possible in the space I have

• 2 weeks later...

the boards came in today,and they look pretty good.

funny enough I figured out a different solution that renders the top half of the board moot (SD card half)

This is what it looks like next to a launchpad to show how small it is.

overall I should still be able to use them, and just bodge on the daughter board for the SD, or I may just go ahead and populate these 3 as is... not sure yet.

post-7036-0-13839900-1366320921_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the boards came in today,and they look pretty good.

funny enough I figured out a different solution that renders the top half of the board moot (SD card half)

This is what it looks like next to a launchpad to show how small it is.

overall I should still be able to use them, and just bodge on the daughter board for the SD, or I may just go ahead and populate these 3 as is... not sure yet.

Looks pretty! Hope you debug it out.

Moving this to the MSP430 Projects sub-section as it is one.