Sign in to follow this  
aravind90

connecting the launchpad with EZ430-RF2500T

hi all..

am a newbie ti this msp family :o ..and as a budding engg student i would like to work with this launchpad..i have got the launchpad as well as the ex430-rf2500t wireless target board...i would like to know how can i interface the launchpad and the wireless target board so that i will be able to send sme data's from the launchpad to the computer. :? .

pls suggest som ideas... :!:

regards

aravind :)

I'm not certain what you are trying to do, or why. The RF2500 has a F2274 on board. What would the point be in attaching it to the Launchpad? If you want to use the valueline chips with the CC2500 radio module, I would suggest getting standalone CC2500 modules, CC2500 and CC1101 modules can be got off of e-bay.

There's a reason why the F2274 comes with the RF2500 target boards. The radio modules are not simple and send data in packets, which requires RAM. You would only be able to do the most basic point A to point B communication using a 2K valueline chip and for that, you might as well use a simpler transceiver.

Would you like your project to be wireless?

I think you would need another target board(connected to the Launchpad) to receive data from another rf2500 target board.

Ya .. I want a wireless communication with launchpad and the computer using the wireless target board.. ca i make use of the antenna provided in the rf2500t to transmit the data and collect it through the wireless 2.4ghz channel being in-built in the laptop..!!! will this be working ??

I think you would need another target board(connected to the Launchpad) to receive data from another rf2500 target board.

Ya .. I want a wireless communication with launchpad and the computer using the wireless target board.. ca i make use of the antenna provided in the rf2500t to transmit the data and collect it through the wireless 2.4ghz channel being in-built in the laptop..!!! will this be working ??

If you already have the RF2500T board, you don't need a launchpad. The 22F74 in that RF2500 is pretty powerful. Whatever code you plan to put on the launchpad can run directly on the RF2500T board.

The receiving side should be another RF2500T board connecting to the laptop via the programming dongle or via a UART-USB adapter. I have an example of the RF2500T boards running in a quad-copter flying machine here: http://code.google.com/p/simple-flight-controller/ (http://www.43oh.com/2010/11/msp430-base ... 30-rf2500/)

Not sure what you mean by "the wireless 2.4ghz channel being in-built in the laptop..!!!" though. If you want to use the RF2500 to decode the Wifi or bluetooth of the laptop, then it's probably not possible.

-Thanh

If you already have the RF2500T board, you don't need a launchpad. The 22F74 in that RF2500 is pretty powerful. Whatever code you plan to put on the launchpad can run directly on the RF2500T board.

The receiving side should be another RF2500T board connecting to the laptop via the programming dongle or via a UART-USB adapter. I have an example of the RF2500T boards running in a quad-copter flying machine here: http://code.google.com/p/simple-flight-controller/ (http://www.43oh.com/2010/11/msp430-base ... 30-rf2500/)

Not sure what you mean by "the wireless 2.4ghz channel being in-built in the laptop..!!!" though. If you want to use the RF2500 to decode the Wifi or bluetooth of the laptop, then it's probably not possible.

-Thanh

Hi.. i have now got a RF2500 USb dongle attached with a target board rf2500t and another separate rf2500t target board..

i need to know how to transmit and receive the data between the two rf2500 and the rf2500t boards...i will be connecting the rf2500t target board to the launch pad as u prescribed in ur previous post.... hope i had made my point clear to u now..

sorry for the inconvenience,...

Hi.. i have now got a RF2500 USb dongle attached with a target board rf2500t and another separate rf2500t target board..

i need to know how to transmit and receive the data between the two rf2500 and the rf2500t boards...i will be connecting the rf2500t target board to the launch pad as u prescribed in ur previous post.... hope i had made my point clear to u now..

sorry for the inconvenience,...

I agree with Zeke. It looks like you just need a wireless link between your laptop and your launchpad. There might be something cheaper & easier to go with.

If you want to use the RF2500T board, you can look at TI's SLAA325: http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slaa325a/slaa325a.pdf. With it you can have two RF2500T boards talking to each other.

I use it on my quad copter flight controller project mentioned earlier. It has a TX module that uses a RF2500T board to send the control data to the flight controller which is essentially just another RF2500T board.

Hope that helps

-Thanh

ya exactly...i would like to transfer the data from the launchpad...just for wireless data transfer am using this rf2500..

can u brief of how it can be done,,in which port the rf2500t has to be connected with the MSP430 launchpad...am new to this msp family..your help would be of great help...

pls

regards

aravind

Arvind, Your question was just answered above by thanhtran and zeke - You do not need the launchpad. If you have the rf2500 kit, you will have two radios - One USB and the the other to be placed as a remote device.

Also I'm not sure what you have. If you just have the rf2500 target board, I doubt you can go wireless.

hi all...

Actually i want to make an energy meter using the msp430 launchpad...after developing the launchpad as an energy meter , i would like to send the data from the launchpad to the remote computer.. so can u tel me how this is possible .. as mentioned before i understood that data can be sent through wireless media without the need of launchpad...bt how can i so this sort of data transmission using the target boards and the rf2500 kit...

Also i have soldered necessary pins so that i could connect the RF2500T target board into the MSO430 Launchpad...

ans here is the image of how i connected the launchpad with the RF2500T target board

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 60&bih=543

am sry if i am had not made my point clear before..

help pls.......

Aravind

This is painful, because it's obvious you are trying to run before you walk here. The picture you are linking too is showing the RF2500 module connected to the Launchpad programmer, not the launchpad itself. The picture is showing an alternate way of programming the RF2500 target board using the Launchpad programmer rather than the EZ430 programmer that comes with the RF2500 kit.

Wait, did you buy the EZ430 2500 kit, or did you just buy a couple RF2500 target boards and the Launchpad? If you bought the kit, it comes with the EZ430 USB programmer that already does what that picture shows (programs/debugs the RF2500 target board).

Do something simple first, like write a program to flash the LED's on the RF2500 target board.

hi all...

I have got EZ420-RF2500 kit (USB dongle) as well the EZ430-RF2500T target board...i have connected the target board to the launchpad programmer as u have seen in the link....now tell me what should i do to transmit and receive the data between the rf2500 kit (usb dongle ) connected to the laptop and the rf2500t target board connected with the launchpad

Well, the first problem is that (in the photo) you have TWO 430's connected to that LaunchPad: The RF2500 module, and the one in the LaunchPad socket! :shock:

hi...

it is one of the possible ways of connecting the msp430 with the rf2500t target board i suppose..this i got from the pdf file of the rf2500 kit...