JWoodrell

programming a MSP430G2955?

Just went and see  MSP-FET430UIF and...god! why are all debugers so expensive if there is like a launchpad that is so cheap? 

It's expensive compared with others. But you can't say it isn't expensive. I just don't understand why all those devices are so expensive. 

Anyone as been able to program msp430g2955 besides paul?

I don't think chip guys try to make money on the debuggers I think that they raise the price to control demand, ie they don't want to support the type of customer that is only willing to buy a $20 programmer.

They also have high cost structure for fulfilling tool orders so that is a factor.

Another follow up, I was able to program the 2955 as a 2955 using CCS 5.x and the FET430UIF. i sent the USB logs off to the maintainer and hopefully he can extract the needed magic bytes easily enough to get a new build of mspdebug that fully supports this chip.

When the support for msp430g2955 is updated can we use launchpad 1.5 to program it? if so how? we can update the programmer by just the usb port?

Just have tried msp430mcu-20130321 and mspdebug from sourceforge, build and flash a simple blink code, and it works.

2955 soldered on a tssop board, dvcc, dvss, reset and test linked to launchpad. I left Avcc and Avss unconnected.

It seems launchpad programmer doesn't have to be updated.

Just have tried msp430mcu-20130321 and mspdebug from sourceforge, build and flash a simple blink code, and it works.

2955 on a tssop board, vcc, vss, reset and test linked to launchpad.

So it is working? I don't realy understand that deep programing  :-(  Can we use them with launchpad now?

So it is working? I don't realy understand that deep programing  :-(  Can we use them with launchpad now?

You can program it with a Launchpad (or any other supported programmer) using mspdebug and gcc. If you are using CCS I believe you can only program it with a UIF, not the launchpad.

I use CCS but i need it working for the robotic club in my school so it has to be with energia. it's just introduction to robotics normaly so it's best to be the easiest C

When TI stated that "LaunchPad will be able to support all new and future MSP430G2xx Value Line devices," I thought they meant G2xxx, but it looks more like:

G2xx3

G2xx2
G2x0x
G2x1x
G2x2x
G2x3x

When it comes to FR57xx, LP supports them all (unofficially and I can only verify with FR5739.)

Here's the "official" list of supported deived

BTW, has anyone try to flash LP with UIF firmware?

When TI stated that "LaunchPad will be able to support all new and future MSP430G2xx Value Line devices," I thought they meant G2xxx, but it looks more like:

G2xx3

G2xx2
G2x0x
G2x1x
G2x2x
G2x3x

When it comes to FR57xx, LP supports them all (unofficially and I can only verify with FR5739.)

Here's the "official" list of supported deived

BTW, has anyone try to flash LP with UIF firmware?

hehe i imagen that it would support FR57xxx. it says in the datasheet that it can be programed by spy-by-wire.

Still i would like to use msp430g2955 istead since it has more space.

I realy hope they add support for these new value lines