JWoodrell

programming a MSP430G2955?

43oh Store - MSP430G2955 Development PCB

Has anyone actually gotten a launchpad to program the 2955, i can't get CCS to recognize it, it just comes up with

MSP430: Error connecting to the target: Could not find device (or device not supported).

I set the project variant to g2955(had to update ccs to get the option)

I'm interested in what I'm doing wrong as i just have wires soldered to the pins on the chip and plugging those wires into the 5 pin VCC/TST/RST/TXD/RXD header

if you have gotten one to program what are you using to program it with?

post-7036-0-33656000-1364708786_thumb.jpg

Don't see any problem in connection, because I am using (for testing my SBW+ programmer) MSP430F2272 that have same pinout as MSP430G2955. Just to play safe, I also connect AVSS/AVCC lines. Problem is probably in launchpad firmware that don't support new devices. You can try to add resistor/cap to RESET pin on target chip body.

im at a loss,  I have tried

• wiring in the 4 wire jtag (VCC,GND, TST, RST) in the 20 pin socket on the launchpad that the pullup resistor on the launchpad
  • adding my own pullup resistor 47K to the rst line just in case
  • plugging it into the 5 pin header between emulation and EXP430G2 side
  • tried a second launchpad brand new out of the box to make sure i hadn't damaged mine, trying all the above things again on the second pad
  • tried a second high quality usb cable just in case the short one that came with it was marginal
  • swapped back to the G2533 to make sure it still worked (just fine no problems)
  • tried a seperate program to download into the MSP430 (FET-PRO430 lite, which was suggested by TI, which could also download to the G2533 no problems)
  • tried wiring in AVCC, and AVSS just in case
  • unsoldered the connections, re-cleaned the feet of the chip,and soldered new wires on verifying no shorts and on the correct pins,  tried the stuff above again.

nothing I have been able to do will let me communicate with the G2955.  :-(  hopefully someone else is having more luck and I'm just missing something.

I was able to get the 2955 working with the standard SBW with no unexpected problems. I used a standard blinking LED program, compiled it for the 2274 with mspgcc and loaded it from the launchpad via mspdebug after I forced it to think the chip was a 2274. Other than the tools not supporting the 2995 it was just removing the 2274 from the breadboard and adding in the 2995 instead.

Don't really have any suggestions, but figured it'd be good to know that it actually did work for someone else.

I don't have those wires that tiny to test directly (i don't know how write  :? ) so i'm waiting on some tssop to dip adapters. only can tell you next week or so.

you wired VCC to AVCC? and VSS to AVSS?

VCC(pin2) and AVCC(pin16) to pin 1 of launchpad

VSS(pin4) and AVSS(pin15) to pin20 of launchpad

TEST(pin1) to pin17 of launchpad

RST(pin7) to pin16 of launchpad

i don't exacly know what's going on so i can only tell you this 

I don't have those wires that tiny to test directly (i don't know how write  :? ) so i'm waiting on some tssop to dip adapters. only can tell you next week or so.

Two ideas. Take a motor or inductor/coil apart, using the magnet wire (34 to 36 awg) inside. Or take a spare ata100/133 (80 conductor IDE) cable. Those wires are 30 to 32 gauge, solid core, which is the same width as wire wrap wires. And you can either use them as a group or pull them part for individual wires. Perfect for tssop. Hell, i've used them on 0.4mm pitch without too much issue (my fat iron and unsteady hand though).

I was able to get the 2955 working with the standard SBW with no unexpected problems. I used a standard blinking LED program, compiled it for the 2274 with mspgcc and loaded it from the launchpad via mspdebug after I forced it to think the chip was a 2274. Other than the tools not supporting the 2995 it was just removing the 2274 from the breadboard and adding in the 2995 instead.

Don't really have any suggestions, but figured it'd be good to know that it actually did work for someone else.

How was Paul able to do this. 

I was looking at your @@JWoodrell  E2E thread and looks like we are toast for now.

Edit: I overlooked. He fooled it as a 2274. or is it 2744?