Sign in to follow this  
pine

If we judge all those Arduino clones out there by cuteness, this one surely will win

It's not bad!  You just have to spend 9 months or more figuring it out though.... :grin:

I think the only reason why Renesas continues with their non-ARM products that compete directly with ARM products has a lot to do with Japanese pride.  Japanese cuteness isn't enough to persuade me into that pool.  The Renesas chip would have to substantially better than the CM4F competitor for me to *want* to use it.  If a Japanese company hired me and stipulated that I should use Renesas, then sure -- but considering that I'm not Japanese, this is a weak premise.  :)

I think the only reason why Renesas continues with their non-ARM products that compete directly with ARM products has a lot to do with Japanese pride.  Japanese cuteness isn't enough to persuade me into that pool.  The Renesas chip would have to substantially better than the CM4F competitor for me to *want* to use it.  If a Japanese company hired me and stipulated that I should use Renesas, then sure -- but considering that I'm not Japanese, this is a weak premise.   :smile:

IMO there is no point to learning the RX stuff with ARM being in the position it is.  I am sort've being a rebel with this, I figure it's just a hobby to me, play with whatever I want... everyone's ARM this, ARM that, I figured it'd be fun to try something different.  (My only gripe now is availability; some of my favorite chips in the RX lineup seems to have 0 inventory in all the US distributors...)

That said, the general impression I've got from reading about Renesas (especially the way they market the chips) is that their biggest customers--the Japanese auto industry (and other electronics industries, think Canon/Nikon/etc) are just used to the Hitachi/Mitsubishi/NEC peripherals and chips, so there's a measure of pride but I bet also a measure of inertia--why learn a whole new architecture including peripherals that work somewhat differently (ARM and its gadzillion variants) when you can get a modern equivalent (RX, V850, RH850, SuperH, etc) that still works the way you're used to?  This only applies to the Japanese though.  Well maybe other Asian countries too...

FWIW, I think Renesas is introducing some ARM in the upper end (MPU, pushing beyond what their SuperH chips do) but stubbornly sticking with their home-grown stuff for anything lower.