Sign in to follow this  
pine

If we judge all those Arduino clones out there by cuteness, this one surely will win

At 64 CENTS too. Well, before US to Taboo shopping service fees. Still, probably under 2 bucks each. With even a knockoff serial to usb chip, it's not too shabby.

I do not know, I though that this was the coolest / cutest adruino project. However, I think this type of project could be done better with a MSP430. . . 

I think every AVR project would be better with MSP430  :grin:

I do like the first-posted board, though.  I love cute electronics.

Has any one ordered from taobao? 

Not personally, but they, a, are only in chinese, b, only take chinese currency and payment processing, and c, only ship locally. You pretty much have to use a middle man service to order from it. You tell them which item, pay for it plus shipping plus a transaction fee, and then when they get it, they ship it out.

I still think that the GR Sakura tops just about anything out there:  http://www.renesas.com/products/promotion/gr/index.jsp

Don't be fooled by the pink exterior.  It's very powerful.  Pobably on-par with the Cortex M4F.  Maybe more powerful in some respects.  http://www.renesas.eu/products/mpumcu/rx/rx600/rx63n_631/device/R5F563NBDDFP.jsp

gr_sakura02.jpg

Well I think the issue with Renesas is they specifically target professional customers (not really an issue, more a choice, makes a lot of sense for them if you think about it), and for that they provide a lot of tools (including peripheral driver generators)... assuming you are OK with their Windows-only IDEs and tools.

The GR-Sakura runs Arduino code though, with minor modifications (similar to Energia I guess), so it probably isn't that bad.  Gadget Renesas is their internal initiative to support hobbyists.  But doing baremetal development for the RX is quite a learning curve as I've come to discover :smile:  It's on-par with the Cortex-M4F with a lot of Hitachi and Mitsubishi heritage pulled in with its onboard peripherals.  I'm getting my boards dialled in though.  I don't have a GR-Sakura, but rather their demo & promo boards targeting students and professionals (which I've since produced "LaunchPad" adapters for)...

But anyway that's getting way off topic here ;-)

Has any one ordered from taobao?

Like what cde said.. but recently they seem to changed to use an Australian bank for payment processing, so they now accept at least Visa by Visa Verified steps.

7-11 here sell coupon card to recharge the associated account at Taobao partnered payment processor (i think it is called Alipay). From what i heard doing so is better than paying by Visa due to lower overall cost. I mean (product price + Bank charges + exchange rate) > 7-11 coupon. Those coupon charge no fee but at a higher xchange rate.