LariSan

LaunchPad Proto Plate- from Ponoko

Bart checking in here.  I think this is my first 43oh post despite being a member for some time.

The original design was put together on a whim after talking to Lari one day about some training.  There's no particular reason it was made in a portrait orientation, and landscape will probably work even better.

I published the design on Ponoko this morning for you guys, but it looks like Lari already took care of that.  So if you want on of the V1 designs, you can order it straight from them: http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/launchpad-proto-plate-9765

Ponoko doesn't use STL files, but rather EPS. They do all the conversions to STL inhouse, using color data from the EPS file to set etching and the like.

The original plan to mount the Launchpad down was to use some double stick foam dots like these: http://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Double-Sided-Diameter-Package/dp/B0046NNHIO

Ideally they would just replace the rubber feet.  No idea how well that would work; they might have to be stacked to get the right thickness.  Another option for V2, depending on how much Lari want's to spend, is to use some fancier corner mount board standoffs: http://www.richco-inc.com/products/circuit-board-hardware/97-circuit-board-hardware-catalog.html?PartNum=&country=RICHCOUSA&grpcode=A1850

This would also require some rubber feet on the sled since there are screws on the other side.

Adding feet to the sled would also give a little more clearance for the wire wrap headers on the C2000 and Stellaris launchpads.  I think we can easily add some cutouts to allow those to pass through unmodified so that the Launchpads can be reused.  This would let the design be compliant across the whole Launchpad family, which is kinda the idea of them in the first place.

If you guys have any other ideas, please let us know.

@@ILAMtitan Welcome to 43oh! If you are a TI'er and would like a badge next to your avatar, just quote this message.

@@LariSanIf you want, we can do a group buy once all are happy with the features, which will include the breadboards.

I am indeed a TIer, working in the MCU group. 

I know that Ponoko will also source the launchpads and breadboards and assemble these, but I don't think it would be worth the extra cost to people here.  It may be something to explore in the future if a broader interest develops.

I am indeed a TIer, working in the MCU group.

Thanks for getting on board. If there is a way to hook up our LPs to our home electric meters, that would be great. I just have a blinking light on my meter. @@GeekDoc was working on a similar project

I know that Ponoko will also source the launchpads and breadboards and assemble these, but I don't think it would be worth the extra cost to people here.  It may be something to explore in the future if a broader interest develops.

Alright, give me a few days to get some prices up for the full package.

Tangent question- Has anyone at TI worked on/come up with a cool system for carrying their equipment on the go?  E.g. boxes with dividers for the boosterpacks, maybe some sort of cover to protect the pins (particularly those thin pins on the stackable headers), etc.

The LaunchPad box itself works quite well when you yank out the inner cardboard (although stackable-type pins often bend if I'm hasty with it) but I'd imagine it could be better.

I received an Anaren Air ZigBee boosterpack kit from the promo TI MCU did on their facebook page, and I was very impressed how well protected and packed those boosterpacks were.  The plastic cases are a good idea for protecting them.

Tangent question- Has anyone at TI worked on/come up with a cool system for carrying their equipment on the go?  E.g. boxes with dividers for the boosterpacks, maybe some sort of cover to protect the pins (particularly those thin pins on the stackable headers), etc.

The LaunchPad box itself works quite well when you yank out the inner cardboard (although stackable-type pins often bend if I'm hasty with it) but I'd imagine it could be better.

I received an Anaren Air ZigBee boosterpack kit from the promo TI MCU did on their facebook page, and I was very impressed how well protected and packed those boosterpacks were.  The plastic cases are a good idea for protecting them.

Not sure if this counts, but I've played with a few ideas myself (since I have to pack up and go to trade shows a lot). 

the first-- I like to use photo-holders (like the kind you can get at scrapbook stores):

8609344865_31cf074feb_z.jpg[/url]

This one is from container store

Whats+in+MCUniversitis+bag-+the+kits.jpg

Showing them in my backpack. 

I've also tried storing them in acrylic containers like this, but I found that it doesn't travel well (thin acrylic shatters)

8609220961_983da37e6e_z.jpg[/url]

Also, this is what I have in my office to store the boosterpacks. 
I used these office containers for paper with little clear trays. 
8610327368_d0bb48099d_z.jpg[/url]

I recently got a laser, so if you're not already commited to the Ponoko route I'd be happy to cut a few plates and send them to Bluehash for the store. I've got a lot out of this site so would appreciate the chance to give something back.

On the plus side: They'll be completely free. I can quickly try out different designs, colours or ideas.

On the minus side: My maximum cutting area is A4 (297 x 210mm) so might have to adjust the size to fit. I can vector engrave but I'm using Mach3 and I've not sorted out raster engraving yet

@@Fred, thanks for the offer. Do you want to sample out one on your machine using Larissa's design? I can send over some $ for the acrylic.

Will do. I need to work in CamBam to output g-code for Mach3, so I'll manually convert it. Just trying to trace the outline of the rocket now. I may try a 43oh logo on there too if that's OK. Perhaps some corner pieces glued on top so that the board stays in place will be a simple solution for a less permanent mount.

4 plates fit fairly neatly on A4 which is handy. I'm happy to cover the cost of the acrylic.

Will do. I need to work in CamBam to output g-code for Mach3, so I'll manually convert it. Just trying to trace the outline of the rocket now. I may try a 43oh logo on there too if that's OK. Perhaps some corner pieces glued on top so that the board stays in place will be a simple solution for a less permanent mount.

4 plates fit fairly neatly on A4 which is handy. I'm happy to cover the cost of the acrylic.

Thanks for doing this. There is no official logo. Normal text will also do.

Fred, the design files that Larissa hosted are all in vector formats.  let me know if there is a better file format for you regarding those and I can get it to you.

For the corners, four L shaped pieces should be sufficient to hold it in place in two dimensions.  I don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place...

ILAMtitan - Thanks. The vectors are just a few squares, so it was just as easy to measure and redo. I was going to attempt to trace and vector cut the rocket but don't think I'd do a great job. I know there's a raster engraving plug-in for Mach3 so it's probably a good time to play with that.

The 4 corner pieces should work. I just need to ensure the USB connector isn't obscured. Maybe 3 L shaped pieces and one straight.

post-317-0-23695500-1365148030_thumb.jpg

Or one end piece.

post-317-0-82655700-1365148048_thumb.jpg

3mm was only just enough for the corner pieces so I used 5mm for that instead. The engraved text is actually better that it looks as that's a phone photo taken in poor light. I've not tried the raster engraving yet,