wygonski

MSP430 use FRAM above 0x10000

So I have successfully placed named code and data sections in to upper FRAM, which was my goal.    Next I'll test out the program to verify that the MSP430 20-bit address mode is used when accessing these sections.

Thanks much for your suggestions and help, indeed it seems to work well.

John

Hi,

It's good to see people using the new MSP430-GCC toolchain. I'm glad it's being made available within the Energia client.

I'll note that you can use the "upper", "either", "lower" attributes to place code/data in a specific memory region, instead of having to manually specify a section.

So you can do

ADI_REG_TYPE  __attribute__((upper))  Param_Data_IC_1[PARAM_SIZE_IC_1] ...

instead of

ADI_REG_TYPE  __attribute__((section(".upper.rodata")))  Param_Data_IC_1[PARAM_SIZE_IC_1] ...

I'd also like to point out that the MSP430-GCC version used by "package_msp430_elf_GCC_index.json", 8.3.0.16, is nearly a year old and there have been significant improvements to code generation and some new features in the latest 9.2.0.50 release. However, I do understand that Energia might want to to focus on maturity rather than using the very latest release.

I think a specific feature that is somewhat relevant to the discussion in this thread is new "location" attribute which lets you place code/data at a specific memory address.

The MSP430-GCC user guide on the TI website has some documentation on other features you may not be aware of: https://www.ti.com/tool/download/MSP430-GCC-OPENSOURCE

Thanks,

Jozef

Hi Josef,

thanks for highlighting the availability of the newer GCC version. Unfortunately i made a link to the GCC page at TI but this page did not point to the latest compiler (9.x.x) anymore but still to the 8.x.x version.

I have just uploaded a new Energia elf GCC compiler version with the 9.2.0.50 compiler (Energia package 2.0.9).

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Yeah TI changed some of the URLs around, so the following link still points to an old 8.x.x release even though it used to be used to download the latest: http://software-dl.ti.com/msp430/msp430_public_sw/mcu/msp430/MSPGCC/latest/index_FDS.html

But this link will always have the latest release https://www.ti.com/tool/download/MSP430-GCC-OPENSOURCE

Thanks!

Jozef