43oh

MSP430G2955 Launchpad Development

update- I decided before ordering to reroute the board 'cause it was a spaghetti mess (and I've found it's important to do a "first routing" to find all the issues, then throw it in the trash & do it a second time to get it "right") but then life happened so I haven't had any time to do that.  Will get to it soon.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to try my hand soon at a "jack of many trades" G2955 LaunchPad.     This model gives me a test bed for playing with the QFN version of the chip, which seems to be easier to come by than t

Felt little nostalgic looking at that 40 DIP, so I took out my 80's treasures box    

Ok guys, I just solved something that was bugging me a lot about this board.   I got a lot of 50 1x50 male right-angle PTH 1.27mm headers, and a lot of female 1x40 1.27mm headers (sadly, the female

Posted Images

@@RobG, @@spirilis - I have a one question about SPI, inside RobG variant file SPI are defined from USCB0:

static const uint8_t SS      = 6;  /* P3.0 */
static const uint8_t SCK     = 7;  /* P3.3 */
static const uint8_t MOSI    = 15; /* P3.1 */
static const uint8_t MISO    = 14; /* P3.2 */

what changes I need to do to use SPI from USCA0 ?:

static const uint8_t SS      = 7;  /* P3.3 */
static const uint8_t SCK     = 6;  /* P3.0 */
static const uint8_t MOSI    = 4;  /* P3.4 */
static const uint8_t MISO    = 3;  /* P3.5 */

or better, like on TIVA/STELLARIS to set module that I want to use?

@@RobG, @@spirilis - I have a one question about SPI, inside RobG variant file SPI are defined from USCB0:

static const uint8_t SS      = 6;  /* P3.0 */
static const uint8_t SCK     = 7;  /* P3.3 */
static const uint8_t MOSI    = 15; /* P3.1 */
static const uint8_t MISO    = 14; /* P3.2 */

what changes I need to do to use SPI from USCA0 ?:

static const uint8_t SS      = 7;  /* P3.3 */
static const uint8_t SCK     = 6;  /* P3.0 */
static const uint8_t MOSI    = 4;  /* P3.4 */
static const uint8_t MISO    = 3;  /* P3.5 */

or better, like on TIVA/STELLARIS to set module that I want to use?

Energia's SPI was never really designed to use USCI_A at all, since the "boosterpack designated" location is on the USCI_B pins only for the various MSP430 LaunchPads.

That said, you would need to modify those for sure, but then also rewrite the SPI library's utility/usci_spi.cpp (found in hardware/msp430/libraries/SPI)

IIRC you can "fork" the SPI lib and put it in your local libraries dir, then rename it a bit (and the utility/ dir functions since they're C) and just use that instead of SPI. I also have a 9 and 16-bit adapted version of SPI, perhaps I should extend it into a super deluxe SPI alternative for Energia...

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

• 5 months later...

hey hi all,

sorry to ask such a question but after searching through lots of forums, i still could not make out whether we can program MSP430g2955 using a msp430g2 launchpad. if yes, what are the connections are required to make and how? please forgive me for asking this if u think its too foolish to be answered..

thanks

gyan

• 2 months later...

I have used stock energia 13 and applied spirillis patch for the G2955 support, uploaded through F5529 launchpad. When sprinting through serial port, the following occurs, stdin error is printed along with the correct message:

Testing the communication
stdin:1: '=' expected near 'the'
> Testing the communication
Testing the communication

The problem is related with Serial.println(), and does not happen with Serial.print(). When the string is empty, the response is ">", when printing Serial.println("a") single character, the following occurs:

a
stdin:2: '=' expected near 'a'
> a

Manually writing return characters does not change anything.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Tag-Connect is the principle method of programming,

Hi Spirillis, I see you used Tag-Connect on your board, how you wired pin to adapter? Are any standard to follow? Can we discuss one for all so we can build adapter for everyone wish to use?

I found standard for TIVA on 10 pin as TI used on launchpad pattern so I followed it, I am also using 6 pin for Altera MAX and MSP430 but I suppose no standard exists on these, suggestion are welcome.

My pinout both Spy By Wire and BootLoaDer used for now on 3 board still in prototype phase so they maybe need some fix/improvement before release

1 Vcc   3 RST  5  BRX

2 GND 4 TST  6  BTX

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have lightly modified the pins_energia.h file by spirilis to compile with Energia v17 and it seems to be running fine on the G2955.  I'm using the pin assignments by RobG, but put SS on pin 8.  Using a F5529 LaunchPad to program.  The repository is here.

I had almost finished adding the G2955 to Energia using my own pin assignments and pins_energia.h when I discovered this thread.  Oops.  Oh well, it was a good learning exercise and I got to compare my own effort to a more polished one.

IIRC, the only thing in Energia's core really "missing" is Timer_B support specifically compatible with this chip (can't recall if I had a patch in this thread for it, but it might be irrelevant since it's not up to date with Energia 17).  The __MSP430_HAS_TBx__ define for the G2xx[45]'s is a bit different from the one the F5529 uses so the analogWrite code isn't there (on F5529 and I think FR5969, you can use analogWrite on Timer_B ports).  But most people won't care...