43oh

MSP430G2955 Launchpad Development

Made some changes to the board:

1. SMD switches are now 6mm, not 5mm (5mm footprint courtesy of... SparkFun, didn't I say I will never use their libraries again?)

2. S1 and S2 switches are now connected to P2.3 and P2.4 (thanks xpg for noticing the problem.)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going to try my hand soon at a "jack of many trades" G2955 LaunchPad.     This model gives me a test bed for playing with the QFN version of the chip, which seems to be easier to come by than t

Felt little nostalgic looking at that 40 DIP, so I took out my 80's treasures box    

Ok guys, I just solved something that was bugging me a lot about this board.   I got a lot of 50 1x50 male right-angle PTH 1.27mm headers, and a lot of female 1x40 1.27mm headers (sadly, the female

Posted Images

Ok guys, I just solved something that was bugging me a lot about this board.

I got a lot of 50 1x50 male right-angle PTH 1.27mm headers, and a lot of female 1x40 1.27mm headers (sadly, the female ones are substantially more expensive at ~$7 for five 1x40 vs ~$12 for fifty 1x50 male but oh well).  The problem is, it's almost impossible to find right-angle female 1.27mm headers (in fact I've not found it yet!)

So I designed a tiny adapter board (OSHpark fabbed) to adapt Rob's 6-pin to the standard 6-pin eZ430:

post-15991-0-57674100-1377914914_thumb.jpg

post-15991-0-58603700-1377914928_thumb.jpg

My technique is to create a 6-pin SMD header with long pads, then include 2 in the design, arrange them 1 on top of the other (top & bottom layer) and run static vias between them to "strengthen" the anchorpoint, then take the straight PTH female 1.27mm header and SMD-solder it at the edge of the board.

The MSP430 LaunchPad unfortunately has the UART pins of the eZ430 connector backwards, so that the eZ430 can talk to the G2553 or whatever instead of talking to the application UART.  I flip-flopped my UART pins appropriately so the G2955 board can talk alone over the MSP430 LP's application UART.  The DIP chip must be removed from the MSP430 LP.

OSHpark gerbers: RobG_G2955_eZ430.zip

I soldered male headers onto my old v1.4 LP, it works but one thing that's weird is the CPU doesn't seem to come out of RESET when I type "run" in mspdebug.  I have to exit out of mspdebug completely.  Haven't tried soldering headers on my v1.5 LP yet.  I may also roll a FET430UIF-eZ430 adapter board while I'm at it.  I am going to include this type of 2-layer+vias SMD eZ430 header on all my future designs for easy plug & play.

Another nice thing about the SMD pad+via design, the vias provide a little "catch" so I can take the MSP430 LP's male eZ430 header, touch it against the pads ("catching" it on the vias) and reprogram a gadget (say, put these on a final project board) very quickly without plugging or soldering.  Homegrown tag-connect, basically.

• 7 months later...

Fwiw, played around a bit and got Energia 12 to see & program this board.

Several changes:

1. Energia support needs the msp430g2955.h header, modified msp430.h (to seek & acknowledge the presence of the former) and linker files -- http://spirilis.net/junk/msp430/energia/g2955/energia_g2955_support_files.tar.gz

2. The RobG G2955 Board variant: http://spirilis.net/junk/msp430/energia/g2955/energia_g2955_robg_board_variant.tar.gz

These are both intended to be untarred/unpacked from within the energia-0101E0012 toplevel directory.  In the future, I believe the variant and boards.txt can be "added" as an add-on to your ~/Documents/Energia/hardware directory or similar.  I'll play with that soon (it's the main route by which end-users will add support for this board).

Lastly,

3. mspdebug needs an upgrade.  I have a binary built for 64-bit Linux (Fedora 19) that works, I copied it in place of hardware/tools/msp430/bin/mspdebug and it recognizes the G2955 over the rf2500 (MSP430G2 LaunchPad) interface.  Link to that binary: http://spirilis.net/junk/msp430/energia/g2955/energia_g2955_mspdebug_0.22_linux_64bit_binary.tar.gz

I'm using my eZ430-adapter board on my G2955 board (in conjunction w/ a G2 LaunchPad v1.4) to program it.  Had to run a jumper wire to reverse the UART connections to make it work, but this sketch compiled & runs:

void setup()
{
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  pinMode(12, INPUT_PULLUP);
  while (digitalRead(12)) ;
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Hi there!");
}

void loop()
{
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
  delay(1000);
}

producing "Hi there!" on the Serial Monitor.

Pin 12 is P2.3, the left pushbutton, pin 13 is P2.4, the right pushbutton.  My sketch waits for P2.3 to be pressed before doing any UART comms to avoid triggering the Linux - LaunchPad UART bug.

Was trying to get my Nokia 1202 boosterpack going, just to light its backlight, then realized my choice of pin for that (P2.6) just happens to be one of the XTALs on the G2955 which on my board, is soldered.  I'm also running @@energia 's Low Power Mode-modified core code which activates that XTAL (haven't confirmed this actually, going to do that next).

Additionally I have a pull request in the works for the next release of Energia that reworks analogWrite() so it does synchronous updates when the Timer counter resets to 0, and another thing it adds is the proper #if defined() for the G2955's __MSP430_HAS_TB3__ to support its Timer_B capable pins.

Raw wiring_analog.c for that: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/energia/Energia/issue_372/hardware/msp430/cores/msp430/wiring_analog.c

Looks like it is working with the LPM code.

Hi there!
BCSCTL3 setting: 100
LPM 1
LPM 2
LPM 3
LPM 4

(BCSCTL3 output as binary - so that's 00000100, meaning LFXT1Sx = 00 (32768Hz XTAL on LFXT1) and XCAPx = 01 (~6pF).)

The number after "LPM" is just a counter indicating the # of times it has run sleepSeconds(1).

void setup()
{
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  pinMode(12, INPUT_PULLUP);
  while (digitalRead(12)) ;
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Hi there!");
  Serial.print("BCSCTL3 setting: ");
  Serial.println(BCSCTL3, BIN);
}

void loop()
{
  static uint16_t lpm_counter = 0;
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
  sleepSeconds(1);
  Serial.print("LPM "); Serial.println(++lpm_counter);
}

Going to try my hand soon at a "jack of many trades" G2955 LaunchPad.

post-15991-0-75518100-1398869096_thumb.png

post-15991-0-83950900-1398869105_thumb.png

This model gives me a test bed for playing with the QFN version of the chip, which seems to be easier to come by than the TSSOP version.  (Digikey does have some stock of the TSSOP as it turns out, but still lists it as "Non-Stock".)

Board is based on @@RobG 's original breakout with some minor modifications.  J6/J7 jumpers at the bottom enable connecting P3.1/P3.2 to the P4.1/P4.0 I2C pins in the lower left, allowing me to use BoosterPacks following the new pinout for I2C with the hardware USCI_B I2C port.  On the back is a pair of I2C pullup resistors and solder jumper (broken by default) to enable them.  Up top, we can source power from either USB (w/ MCP1725 500mA 3.3V LDO voltage regulator) or from a 2xAA battery pack (mouser part: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=12BH321P-GRvirtualkey56100000virtualkey12BH321P-GR ) through a TI TPS61221 switching Boost Converter producing regulated 3.3V output with very low quiescent current usage.

Tag-Connect is the principle method of programming, with pads on both sides of the PCB (routing that was "fun") in case a boosterpack is in the way on top, or in case the AA battery pack is installed on the backside (thus requiring programming from the top).

AVcc is powered through a resistor & capacitor filter, and I nestled suitable resistor + capacitor footprints attached to USB D-/D+ so I can run some thin wires from them to I/O ports for using Mecrimus-B software USB if I'd like to try it.  Also the XTAL is LF/HF, with footprints for using either (similar to RobG's design).  P2.6/P2.7 is dedicated for the XTAL now so there is no reason not to install it.  I stole P3.6 and P1.0 from its original locations on RobG's board to supply the pads in the upper right boosterpack header for PWM output and GPIO IRQ.

No buttons besides RESET, only LEDs are Vcc and 5V and they have normally-connected solder jumpers to cut if need be.  If the QFN turns out reasonably OK to solder I'm going to use these as workhorse project "LaunchPads" with the AA battery holder for portable uses.  Might look into putting some mounting holes in though, I hadn't done that initially...

Going to do another once-over on the design, maybe order some tomorrow.

@@spirilis Nice board.  I might be interested in tagging along on your order for one or two of these boards if you are inclined to do so.  Please let me know via PM if that is possible and, if so, what the cost per board might be.

Sure, I'll probably do an elecrow order of 10 in red soldermask first, I'll let you know.  They're 5x5cm FYI so they should fit their cheapest option.

Thanks Spirilis.  You may have already seen this but I thought it was an interesting question on the e2e forum....espeically in light of your brand new board design.  :smile:

http://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/msp430/f/166/t/338464.aspx

Not quite sure what the author of that question is worried about. The device's status on TI's website is ACTIVE, and at least in the US, Digikey and Mouser have stock.

My only point was the timing of his question and Spirilis' new design. Just saw some humorous irony in it..... :unsure:

But then again it wouldn't be the first time my sense of humor was called into question. :laugh:

Haha gotcha. There have been a few questions over there recently about the chip anyhow...

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4

My only point was the timing of his question and Spirilis' new design.  Just saw some humorous irony in it..... :unsure:

But then again it wouldn't be the first time my sense of humor was called into question. :laugh:

Haha I hadn't noticed until now I just answered another Q by that same person, recommending it. That's funny.

The only problem with G2955 I see is it's price. It costs as much as some F5xxx series chips (and more than twice as much as some ARM chips like Kinetis.)

I'm not on the M0/M0+ bandwagon yet but from what I've seen & heard the prices for those MCUs just make a mockery out of the MSP430.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II with Tapatalk 4