igor

Will not let me search for GPS

The forum search feature is a little odd in that it refuses to search for words shorter than 4 letters.

I encountered this limitation when I tried to search for GPS.

Searching for Global Positioning System gives me no hits.

But since I knew there had been some posts about GPS I tried a google search,

http://www.google.ca/search?as_q=gps&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http://forum.43oh.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gbv=1&sei=dOdQUazvNMS4igK0loHgBA

I am sure there are other less than 4 letter acronyms users might like to search for (like DMA).

If the forum software can not search for short terms (), perhaps the error message could be extended to provide a google (or other) search link as a workaround?  

Thanks

Make sure that the search option is on "Google Site" instead of "This Topic" or "Forums". That way it uses a google site search instead of the more limited IP.Board search.

Make sure that the search option is on "Google Site" instead of "This Topic" or "Forums". That way it uses a google site search instead of the more limited IP.Board search.

Just a quick note on that, for "Google Site" serch to work, you have to temporarily disable the Ghostery Firefox addon if you have it installed and running... and you should :)

This also does not appear to work if one has blocked some of googles tracking sites using something like scriptsafe in Chromium.

(I can run google searches just fine.)

But more to the point - the failure message should tell the user about this option (or even better, if the only thing I search for is shorter than

3 letters, then just automatically redirect to a google search).

"Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking about them."

- Alfred North Whitehead, An Introduction to Mathematics

For trivial operations it is even more inexcusable to make the user think about them.