43oh

Programming an MSP430F2012IPW

OK, so I have encountered a problem. The circuit programs just fine and works... as long as the programming wires (two wires) are connected too the device. Once I remove them, the interrupt routine for SPI will not trigger. When I attatch them, it works again. I also noticed that if I turn the LED on, then unplug the SBW cables, the LED light will become weaker. Does this mean the MSP430 does not get enough current?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might have a supply problem. But more likely, you need to connect the 47k resistor from RST to Vcc. Recommended is to connect a 2.2nF capacitor from RST to Vdd and short TEST to Vdd as well.

Hmmm, as far as I can see, there is a 4,7k ohm resistor between RST (4701 SMD) on the PCB. And TEST is not connected to anything. I disconnected TEST and connected it to VCC, still worked. But when I tried to connect REST to 47k, it stopped working

Leaving TEST open or connecting it to ground did not change anything. The system still works while RST is connected to the ez430. I then tried to connect a 47k between RST and Vcc, and it stopped working. 2n2 F to ground did no good either. Tried lower resistors without luck. When connecting RST directly to Vcc, the circuit operates but gives the wrong ADC value.

There is a 4.7k pullup to Vcc on the PCB, god knows why. I just know I cannot do anything about that, and it is not sufficient for standalone operation. So I guess I have to emulate the exact component configuration on the RST line in the ez430.

Scratch that, I am at a loss here. The above configuration worked yesterday. I think the device is set up to be able to run in standalone. 

I can get it work doing the following: Power the device. Then short RST to ground for a split second, reseting the device. Works everytime. Any suggestion? Is there a register I can set in order to generate the same condition as when grounding and then releasing the RST line?

I am sorry for being such a pain. I did try a 2.2nF numerous of times without success. Your last post made me realize the purpose of the capacitor. Since my pullup resistor deviates from the recommended value, I figured I had to use another capacitor to get the appropriate charge time. I tried lots of different values. What finally made it work was 178 nF, holding the device in a reset state for just the right amount of time. 

The device now operates as intended. Thanks for all your help :)

Alright, sorry if I seemed a bit harsh. 178nF seems like an odd value, why not use a 220nF then? The cause of your starting problems is probably that your power source is rising too slowly, causing corrupt execution during the first few microseconds. Glad to hear it's working now.