43oh

Poor treatment from FedEx

Hey Guys,

I was super excited to order a few more launchpads before the price went up to $10.  Always good to have a spare!  I'm significantly less excited about how they arrived.

Since, this was simply left at my door (I was home too!), it wasn't something I could refuse signing for.

Is there a good way of dealing with this?  If there is a way to determine the boards are completely functional, this isn't a huge deal.

But still, grrr.

post-30223-0-16140300-1363126534_thumb.png

Well, the launchpad comes in a static bag, inside a large box, inside that fedex packaging. If it isn't wet or cut or significantly smashed, you're probably okay. If not, take pictures, and contact the ti store's email with order number and pictures. Fedex screwed something up, and TI will help you out, while complaining to fedex on their side (since they are the fedex customer, not you).

I've never seen a FedEx package that brutalized. Explains why the driver dropped-and-ran.

I agree with CDE all the way around. Inspect the devices for physical damage, take photos. Even if all appears well, I would still let TI know about the condition of the package upon arrival. If anything about the functionality comes up later, you'll already have a record of communication.

I've never seen a FedEx package that brutalized. Explains why the driver dropped-and-ran.

I agree with CDE all the way around. Inspect the devices for physical damage, take photos. Even if all appears well, I would still let TI know about the condition of the package upon arrival. If anything about the functionality comes up later, you'll already have a record of communication.

Actually, the TI packages are not signature required. I just got a sample delivery today, no sig needed, driver just left it at the door, standard procedure.

My FedEx requires a signature, too. I was given an opportunity to sign a permanent waiver of that policy, but I declined.

[added note]

I receive most of my packages in southeast Michigan. The signature thing may be due to my proximity to a major city with package theft issues...

I received a few samples too. I actually had a question about them.
Some arrived in your usual anti-static bag (inside paper fluff inside a box, with a fedex label on it), but some (the SOIC8 chips) arrived in moisture sealed anti-static blisters.

post-3-0-89047500-1363207857_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know why these thing are moisture sealed (and others are not). The label states I need to reflow them within a week after opeing the package, would just soldercoating the pins help to make that (as) indefinitely like the other chips?

Edited by bluehash
Please upload to 43oh next time.

I assume using an iron could also be a problem - maybe. Not sure.

It is important in a production environment where even a small failure rate is a big deal. For hobby work, don't worry about it. Just keep it in that bag with the desiccant as long as you can.

As far as I know, problems with moisture ingress only apply to reflow soldering. In a reflow oven the whole component is brought up to soldering temperature. To avoid damage to the component body the moisture level and oven temperature profile need to be carefully controlled.

When you're hand soldering there might be some heat conducted from the leads to the case, but not enough to bring the whole component up to about 230 degrees C.

I just sent an email to TI.  I'm sure everything is fine, but, seeing as I didn't buy these to sit around the house all day (not that they couldn't be some kind of decoration, they really are nice looking), better safe than sorry, I suppose!

As an aside, I was expecting an international shipment (which does require a signature) to arrive tomorrow before 10:30am.  Instead, they delivered it a day early while I was out.  Now I'm not sure when its coming back.  :roll:

didnt they leave a card? the ones over here are if you miss it they will leave a card with instructions, its usually you gotta go pick it up from the depot within 7 days or call/internet them for a redelivery, the most popular company does automatic saturday redelivery. 

the fedex card here has the signature waiver on the back of it. but its kinda risky, fedex usually redelivers 3 times i think, and its usually the next day.