elpaso

Is it just me or tonight TI doubled LaunchPad price?

No need to buy it at Watterott ;-) Just thought it's worth mentioning.

I'm also not related to him, but was just ordering other stuff there and if you order more than one it comes in cheaper than the 9.99USD at TI, at least if you are in Germany.

In the end I don't care about the LP price too much anyway, whether it's 4.30 or 9.99, at least it's much cheaper then the UIF for 115USD and the price for additional units is still the same.

OK, so I've been using the new msp430f5529 launchpad for a week or so. It seems like TI listened to our concerns. They have addressed most of the issues I have with the previous msp430 launchpad offering.

o ) Serial issues , resolved, new version includes a small on board USB hub that provides a direct connection for the FET and one for the user USB. It runs faster than 9600 and doesn't seem to cause linux to hiccup.

o ) Small ram and flash size. The msp430f5529 has 8k of ram and 128k of flash. In addition, the chip has been around for a while so you can order them from regular distro channels

o ) Linux CCS full support. This LP has the ezFET device and it fully supports debugging using CCS with linux. Also, the open source tilib (libmsp430.so) works great with mspdebug and provides hardware debugging features only previously available with the "real" FET. Finally, the firmware can be upgraded so it can be used with newer chips that appear on the scene.

So hats off to the TI crew, this launchpad seems worth the price they are asking !

-rick

Thanks for the updates, 

it really seems that TI is listening to our Open Source addicts :)

I'll order the new LP as soon as I'll find some spare time, I'm too busy now for playing with MCUs.

Thanks for the updates, 

it really seems that TI is listening to our Open Source addicts :smile:

I'll order the new LP as soon as I'll find some spare time, I'm too busy now for playing with MCUs.

Might want to order soon - it's back ordered to October currently.  

So hats off to the TI crew, this launchpad seems worth the price they are asking !

-rick

But EK-TM4C123GXL - Tiva is better than MSP-EXP430F5529LP and is at the same price. At the moment MSP-EXP430F5529LP is not available and you can order EK-TM4C123GXL and you can start playing with it now.

But EK-TM4C123GXL - Tiva is better than MSP-EXP430F5529LP and is at the same price. At the moment MSP-EXP430F5529LP is not available and you can order EK-TM4C123GXL and you can start playing with it now.

It is not really "better". The chip itself ist better but with the MSP-EXP430F5529LP you get the FET for all SBW-MSPs. You can actually build your own device (with or without boosters) and program more than just the chip on the board.

Might want to order soon - it's back ordered to October currently.

One I ordered Sept. 18 shipped Oct. 3. A two week lead time isn't bad. Could be worse- it's taken longer for things I've ordered off e-bay to ship.

I should've ordered some of the protoboards from the 43oh store when they were on sale. :-(

*edit- It arrived today, Oct 7, via Fed-Ex. Shipped on a Thursday, arrived the following Monday.

The backorder status it had said it would ship in November so I can't complain.