cde 334 Posted February 23, 2013 Share Posted February 23, 2013 So those PCBs I got made? I got antsy, and took a hit. The main chip I wanted on is the LM4970 from Texas Instruments/National, which comes in a LLP (Leadless Leadframe Package), no external legs and not even a small bit of it on the edges. I tried this dead bug style before, but the first time was a disaster, and the second time worked, but the wires for the Mid/Red led flaked off (not a bad thing actually) and the i2c lines as well (Definitely not a good thing). I could try again, with some 34awg wires, but no. Don't have a reflow oven, or toaster over I could hack (or the relays or anything), nor a hot air gun, but I did have a micro portable butane soldering iron. Cheap, at most hardware stores. The soldering iron tip can be removed, turning it into a torch, or a hot air blower. I was worried that it might blow the chips away, but I tested it on a led and a resistor, and nothing. It relies on the pressure of the butane to move the hot air, and that's very little. Of course, I didn't use any flux on the led or resistor, so it didn't work as well, but it reflowed the solder enough that it could be seen. Did brown the led some, and started bubbling the pcb edge, but not the face. Turns out I had the torch at 100%, and since there was no flux to help things along, I was just cooking the board. On to the actual chip (or how to solder with a hot air burner for newbies): I used a soldering iron to tin the board and the lm4970 Used a wick to take the excess solder off Cleaned the cooked flux off (70% alcohol, water, and a toothbrush) And refluxed the chip and board. Put the torch at 75%, and lowered it near the chip. The torch area is bigger than the chip (5mmx2mm) so the heat went around nicely (Scrapped a little of the ground fill for the center pad, since it was not exposed, something to fix on the next revision). Since I couldn't really see the solder reflow except on one 10mil trace, I waited for the flux to boil off and then some. AND IT WORKED. Chip was straight, nice and firm. Cleaned off the flux again (Not all came off, between the board and the chip, hard to reach, but it is no clean flux). Tested for shorts (I had modified the LM4970 footprint for longer traces, which I am glad, made testing easier. Will make them longer again, as well as the ground center pad for this next time). No shorts between pins. Threw on the led, bypass cap and extended header (and fixed the broken trace), plugged it in, and tested it out (With my trusty i2c explorer). Notice, the board isn't browned at all, as long as you don't keep the heat too high. Used normal radioshack 60/40 rosin core solder (not lead free iirc). And the jumper wire to fix the broken ground path. The LM4970's address jumper pad is on the backside, with just enough solder to bridge it to ground (the other pad would bridge it to V+). Lesson Learned as well, once you use Locking header footprints, non-locking is a joke. Trying to keep a header straight and level with a helping hand while soldering it on is a pain. The Adafruit (or Sparkfun) locking header is so much easier. This makes leadless soldering available to anyone with 12 bucks and a hardware store nearby (compared to 15 bucks for the breakout board for this chip) . Sure, it's not efficient for an entire board, considering the burner is about 8mm wide, but for a handful of chips for one off boards, this is simple. Next try will be a wl-csp 3mmx2mm chip, basically bga. SirPatrick, roadrunner84 and pine 3 Quote Link to post Share on other sites
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.