jpnorair

STM32L vs. MSP430F5: What's left for MSP430?

As far as the low end market goes, just talked to a ST rep at work and it looks like there now gunning for the low end MCU market as well now with their M0s. Currently the higher end MSP430G series is perhaps slightly cheaper than the STM32F05 series. However, their newly released series, the STM32F03 will probably end up being cheaper than some of the G series at all quantities. =D There supposed goal is "a STM32 for 32 cents"... I'm curious though at what quantity is necessary for that price but it certainly sounds neat. 

There supposed goal is "a STM32 for 32 cents"... I'm curious though at what quantity is necessary for that price but it certainly sounds neat. 

ST was one of the companies that got-into Cortex M really early, and they have an unlimited license that is already paid-for.  So, the cost of their R&D is probably a lot less than TI's is for the MSP430.  Anyway, we will see.  I'm starting to think that TI should make their MSP430 lines use Cortex-M in the future.  The peripherals and clocking systems can stay the same.

I'm starting to think that TI should make their MSP430 lines use Cortex-M in the future.

While TI might benefit from starting a Cortex-M line, it shouldn't be under the MSP430 label; this label should refer to this specific processor architecture. If the Cortex-M goes under the same label it might very well dirty the brand. Better to start a new line with a totally different name, and maybe later strip down the MSP430 line (though I suspect that it still serves a very good purpose in some niche markets).

While TI might benefit from starting a Cortex-M line, it shouldn't be under the MSP430 label; this label should refer to this specific processor architecture. If the Cortex-M goes under the same label it might very well dirty the brand. Better to start a new line with a totally different name, and maybe later strip down the MSP430 line (though I suspect that it still serves a very good purpose in some niche markets).

Yeah, there are still a lot of MSP430 products out there.  But, I can personally tell you that I would be very interested in a CM0+ core with MSP430 peripherals and the same attention to low power.  FRAM is nice, too.  I don't really care what they call it, but if it has the same peripherals as MSP430, then maybe MSP800 or something. Although, TI seems to be going to a different naming pattern for their chips.