Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SugarAddict

Eagle first attempt...

Recommended Posts

So there's probably a multitude of things wrong :-x But... Is this about right for making a pcb? It's a simple binary clock design with 1 MSP430, 2 74x595's, 18 leds & resistors, 3 buttons, crystal, and 2 pads for battery attachment, plus mounting holes.

 

I did two different boards: one with SMD's and one with DIP... Any suggestions on what I should do different?

 

I did spend two hours trying to manually run all the traces.... then I found the auto button :-x

BinaryClockHoles.zip

BinaryClockSMD.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I did spend two hours trying to manually run all the traces.... then I found the auto button :-x

I'll have a look at them. Just so you know, you can adjust traces once they autoroute. I ended up doing most of mine by hand because autoroute comes out kind of convoluted sometimes. ;)

 

Edit: They look fine. There are a few unnecessary vias, and some of the clearances are a bit tight for my taste, but that's what you get with autoroute. Make sure to get a rules file from your manufacturer to run against this design so you can be sure the tolerances are okay. Also, you may want thicker traces on those carrying higher currents; all of the traces in your designs are pretty thin (autoroute strikes again).

 

BTW: To show your board, you only need send the board (.brd) file; it's self-contained and editable. If you want to allow someone to change the design (components, connections, etc.), include the schematic (.sch) file as well. The two files are all you need for your project; the remainder are mostly backups from changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good. The only bits that I (personally) would change are where the traces come very close to the SMD pads for your switches. The solder mask will probably cover them, but I like to be sure. Maybe you can run that ground trace outside (left) of the switches?

 

The board has a lot of traces, with what looks like a dictated layout, which makes routing difficult. It should work fine, despite my paranoia. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'm trying to get the auto costs and rules adjusted to something workable, but it's still pretty funky. After I learn more of what each thing is I'll probably get a better idea of other values to tweak. Definitely learning Eagle quick :)

 

Changed hole sizes (-1 points for machinist friend lol), slight rule/cost tweaks... still looks funny but things are spaced better...

BinaryClockHole.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks nicer! Very few tight tolerances, and none where you might accidentally solder to them.

 

Some aesthetic points, though:

- Make sure you have the 'Place', 'Names', 'Value', and 'Docu' layers (t & b for all) visible so you can double-check what your silkscreen will look like (I believe they all print). To get rid of/move the Name and/or Value labels for a part, use the "Smash" tool (button looks like a little IC, just under the Name and Value buttons). Smash 'breaks' the labels from the part, so the part and labels are treated as three separate (yet related) parts.

- Your label at the top of the board will be done in copper, and covered with solder mask. This may be what you intended (it's not shorting any traces), and can look pretty cool. But, if you intended it to be in silkscreen, use the "Change" tool (wrench button) to change the layer to one of those above (I usually use "tName").

 

Looking good! Keep polishing. (And don't forget to check measurements before sending for manufacture like I did! :oops: )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh... I was afraid of "Smash" due to it's name, but I'll give that a try.. And yeah, I was hoping that top text would do that, I think it should look neat for a label :) I was trying to get everything placed before doing silk screen stuff... I'll try what ya said and see what comes :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah.. both are text. The date code has a decimal in it and the trace text size got increased (likely to meet min trace size) which made it too large and it's missing half the first word. Too bad Eagle doesn't catch that or I would've known. At least now when I want to do trace text I know about what size to keep it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SugarAddict,

 

Your boards look nice. Sorry to hear about the errant text. Is there no way to preview or check what the board will look like in Eagle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is there no way to preview or check what the board will look like in Eagle?

Eagle shows a very good representation of the final board. It sounds like the fab house increased the width of the traces beyond what SugarAddict had designed.

 

@SugarAddict: What service did you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dorkbot PDX, since I get the boards next day mail being 2 hours from the guy. The trace text I can understand as Eagle probably doesn't check those things with rules... I've been tempted to send him a sarcastic/joking email about the addition of a decimal to my binary date code though... hehehe. I can live with such errors, other than that the boards look awesome. I'm digging the purple!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...