abecedarian

Any 'gearheads' out there? FreeScale based engine controller.

As many here know, I have a motorcycle and have been tossing around ideas about re-working the fuel injection system. One of the systems I was looking at is based around a FreeScale MPC5634M processor, but... it's still being developed. I thought that maybe someone here would be interested in helping out so I asked bluehash and was told to go ahead and post something here.

The project is http://open5xxxecu.org. The code is MIT 'open source'. The initial 'development' hardware is based on this. That is a $99 USD kit so it's not cheap, but not really that expensive either. cocoOS is the RTOS running the show (if I remember correctly). There is hope an 'IO' board can be designed to turn that dev kit into a relatively inexpensive but fully capable engine controller. There are also plans for 'in house' designed ECU's based on other FreeScale processors once working code has been laid down on the dev kit.

The MPC5634M processor is related to processors found in many Chrysler and GM vehicles. It's relatives are powering things like the Dodge Neon SRT4, various Jeep vehicles, (now defunct) Pontiacs and others. There is also a 'fork' in the project aimed at re-purposing or unlocking those ECU's using custom firmware.

The goal of the project is, as mentioned, a fully capable engine control unit along the lines of what one might purchase at a speed-shop or similar. Other goals include implementing things like 'throttle by wire', traction control, and possibly hybrid driveline control (mixed internal combustion and electric).

I don't know what else to say that won't make it sound more like an advertisement or recruitment program. ;-)

The hardware will cost a bit, if you pick up the dev kit or spin your own, but the code is free... as in 'beer', no strings attached. Hardware development is also targeting 'free' and open. One could take the code and port it to another architecture if one desires, with nothing more than a nod to where it came from. :grin:

What awesome timing. I just bought a small gokart engine and am working on an ECU/ fuel injection system. So far I have two temperature sensors reading oil temp and engine block temp. Working on an oxygen sensor next. This sounds like a pretty cool project. If I can fork out enough moolah/ time  I would mess with it. 

I did engine management projects a few years ago.  It's an interesting project, but now aftermarket EFI has gotten much better and even aftermarket DIY engine management like the megasquirt and derivatives are pretty well worked out.

For basic EFI the tough part is just the sensor input.  Unless you are only supporting one vehicle, supporting all the types of sensors and all the setups reliably is tough and more of a hardware problem.

TheDirty, on 05 Feb 2013 - 09:20, said:

I did engine management projects a few years ago. It's an interesting project, but now aftermarket EFI has gotten much better and even aftermarket DIY engine management like the megasquirt and derivatives are pretty well worked out.

For basic EFI the tough part is just the sensor input. Unless you are only supporting one vehicle, supporting all the types of sensors and all the setups reliably is tough and more of a hardware problem.

Theoretically, the processor itself supports up to 255 teeth on a wheel with 1 to 3 missing teeth; FreeScale provides API's for this. More information about the processor is here. Might be worth noting that the processor is effectively 2 cores- one main core based on e200z3 Power Architecture and one eTPU2 co-processor, the latter intended for the crank, cam and other functions.

The basic configuration is starting with a 36-1 crank wheel (provides crank angular resolution of at least 0.1 degree through interpolation of the interval between tooth edges) and a single tooth cam-wheel for engine phase detection. Configuring the tooth count and such is done through tuning software.

The hardware / vehicle interface side is very much a work in progress.

What awesome timing. I just bought a small gokart engine and am working on an ECU/ fuel injection system. So far I have two temperature sensors reading oil temp and engine block temp. Working on an oxygen sensor next. This sounds like a pretty cool project. If I can fork out enough moolah/ time  I would mess with it. 

Been overloaded with work and working on my motorcycle.

You might be interested in http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=KIT33812ECUEVME'>this.

Reference board, basically ready to run a 50cc engine.

The O5E project had an interesting sub-project added to its fold a while back: a modular development similar to Arduino shields, and the Uno form factor was the initial consideration. However, the one responsible for developing that decided to dismiss most of the input, feedback and such from others and went all in, putting everything on one shield- analog interface (manifold pressure, throttle position, intake air temp and coolant temp), ignition and injection drivers thus defeating the intent of modularity. That person is no longer involved with the project, as a whole. And if he reads this, I wish you best of luck, sincerely.

So anyhow... I was wondering if anyone here, since I'm still a bit lacking in development skills, would be interested in joining in? The project 'lead' is interested in this as it presents multiple options for the system: being able to prototype functionality at a relatively low cost when compared to needing to fabricate and populate an entire ECU due to some small issue; catering to the hobbyists and enthusiasts whom are also interested in engine management either for their own purposes or who would like to contribute to their fellow hobbyists and enthusiasts.

There is no requirement as of yet that the system adhere to any form factor so it could be Arduino Uno, Mega, Booster Pack / XL or.... It might be possible to support multiple form factors simultaneously. The only significant issue I can foresee is the MPC5634M processor uses 5v I/O.

If anyone is interested, there is a (short at the moment) topic where I ask a few questions trying to spark some interest and garner opinions from others. That topic is here. Never mind, mods deleted it.

I have posted this information over in the Stellarisiti forums as well.

I want to say thanks to anyone that happened to take a look at this.

The shield thing is pretty much dead due to lack of interest and ability.

There are still hopes some sort of prototyping system can be developed, mainly for those wanting to prototype things like throttle-by-wire, traction control, hybrid electric drive and others, but that is not a priority... not even a blip on the radar, actually.

I started an EFI project as my senior design project a year ago. We got caught up in numerous other things and never really got started on the EFI part except from a conceptual standpoint, but had a lot of fun anyway. Our base was the Parallax Propeller combined with MSP430. The horsepower from the Prop allowed us to actually auto-generate the fuel map. The MSP430 was (going to be) used to read all analog signals and transmit back to the Prop.

@bluehash- thanks for the "Thanks". I wish the project would've had more interest. $100 for a 'core' ECU able to run a 4 cylinder engine, and possibly an 8, with the addition of a few modular boards supporting drivers and other interfaces as needed seemed like a good idea to me at the time. I ran into issues, as mentioned above, and the project stalled, then crashed. Booster Packs would've been a convenient form factor for the modules, even if they were the BPXL style- small, dedicated boards for functions. I saw boards with jumper-selectable I/O so that several could be stacked and run go-karts, dirt bikes, V-2, old Chevy Sprints, or even V-8 engines. But it's hard to get people who know "everything" to listen to someone who knows very little.

Anyhow, my idea was a 6 layer "adapter" board- 4 layers for routing signals and 2 for power and ground planes. I hadn't decided on what signals to route where since the firmware claimed to be able to route most signals where needed by re-assigning pin functions.

The board has 32 ADC pins shared between two 12-bit ADC (both have access to all I/O), with priorities available.

It has 32 other I/O pins available for an "Enhanced Time Processing Unit".. eTPU:

The eTPU is a programmable I/O controller with its own core and memory system, allowing it to perform complex timing and I/O management independently of the CPU. The eTPU is essentially an independent microcontroller designed for timing control, I/O handling, serial communications, motor control and engine control applications.

It has "eMIOS", which is another I/O system similar to ADC but supports time-related GPIO, PWM, period measurement, and bit more I'm not grasping.

I get many of the concepts but it's like I'm setting here, trying to put together a 500,000 piece 3D puzzle.

Thanks for listening to my rant.

I now return you to your 43oh program.