43oh

Programming chips through the IO pins and a ZIF socket

Hi all,

I want to use an MSP430 Launchpad as a "programmer" for standalone MSP430[...] chips, the same ones used in the Launchpad itself.

I thought about removing the existing chip from the board, attaching a ZIF socket through some PCB to all the IO pins, and putting the chip-to-be-programmed on the ZIF socket. I figured it's essentially the same as replacing the chip in the Launchpad socket itself, only easier on its metal pins.

Will it work, or am I missing something? Perhaps I'll need to remove the LED jumpers? Anything else?

Thank you very much in advance!

Got it. Still some time before the actual socket arrives from China though, I'll update here in the forums when it's done.

Will I need an external crystal too? Not for any Real Time applications, just for decent accuracy... and I only got 16MHz ones at hand - they should work, right? [Edit: Oh, I see now crystals aren't an issue with these chips - it's just that I've been working so far mainly with AVRs :-) ]

I tried to desolder the 20 pin socket from one of my LPs, but I failed miserably, maybe due to high iron-temperature or bad desoldering skills.

I ruined some of the pads on the pcb, so personally I cannot recommend this method, although cde gave an example of a good looking ZIF'ed Launchpad :grin:

You might want to try this instead, maybe on some perfboard: http://forum.43oh.com/topic/2853-launchpad-v14-pcbs-free-with-every-order/page-2#entry25208.

Ofcourse, you could also make a ZIF socket that has a DIP20 footprint on the bottom :) Then you can insert the ZIF on the socket of the launchpad and still use the existing headers J1 and J2. The ZIF will be too high nonetheless to attach a booster. Afcours,e you could fix this by soldering longer headers in there instead of the ones delivered with the lauchpad.

chibiace - I was planning on a stripboard to begin with :-)

Also, while revealing my noobness, I must say that at this point I still rather program using Energia and a USB cable than some advanced technical toolchain. In fact, I don't even know what kind of device I'd need to connect the PC to the spy-bi-wire pins... would that be one of those >$100 programmers?

Thanks,

No, the launchpad has a spy-bi-wire programmer built in.

Any "high end" tool chain would be hardware wise identical to the Energia setup.

Even so. I've been told you can "bypass" the Energia easy-stuff by creating a file called main.c in your projects, then you'd just be programming the value line MSP430 in the same way you'd do with any fancy setup, just without all the hassle to get stuff working (application wise that is, you still need to do the firmware part all by yourself).

No, the launchpad has a spy-bi-wire programmer built in.

Any "high end" tool chain would be hardware wise identical to the Energia setup.

Even so. I've been told you can "bypass" the Energia easy-stuff by creating a file called main.c in your projects, then you'd just be programming the value line MSP430 in the same way you'd do with any fancy setup, just without all the hassle to get stuff working (application wise that is, you still need to do the firmware part all by yourself).

Ok this is interesting. I found this forum topic http://forum.43oh.com/topic/303-launchpad-as-external-programmer/, will try that at first chance.

About the main() in Energia - that's just wicked. Will try that too!