43oh

Is This a decent way to prevent EMP damage on a electronic?

Well i been reading a little about EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) and as most know, it will destroy all electronics in its path - even if its unplugged without a battery.

So i was thinking, and due to im no way a expert i wanted to ask if this could work?

- Have somekind of a mechanical pull down switch (in case of EMP attack) which will dislocate all wires and all electronic parts are all disconnected from the board (in a sense of not being a regular pcb board)

- Use a device like those crank radios for a power source (after a emp i believe it will be hard to find working batterys :-/ )

I know this would be pretty hard to put in any project, but i am wondering and i think this cant be legally tested - if theoretically this would not burn out the electronic parts and it could be used after the emp ended?

And no im not one of those EMP worrying "nut jobs" - But it is better to be safe then sorry.

----

That was a bit to sarcastic to me lol.

I do not want to use a Faraday cage - it would not offer 100% protection anyway plus you have to dig it underground.

pfft fishing poles and books? nah no thanks.

also im not looking for suggestions on what else to do im looking for a answer to if my idea could work.

Well i been reading a little about EMP (Electromagnetic Pulse) and as most know, it will destroy all electronics in its path - even if its unplugged without a battery.

So i was thinking, and due to im no way a expert i wanted to ask if this could work?

- Have somekind of a mechanical pull down switch (in case of EMP attack) which will dislocate all wires and all electronic parts are all disconnected from the board (in a sense of not being a regular pcb board)

- Use a device like those crank radios for a power source (after a emp i believe it will be hard to find working batterys :-/ )

I know this would be pretty hard to put in any project, but i am wondering and i think this cant be legally tested - if theoretically this would not burn out the electronic parts and it could be used after the emp ended?

And no im not one of those EMP worrying "nut jobs" - But it is better to be safe then sorry.

----

The sarcasm was definitely intended. You contradicted yourself... "Will destroy all electronics in its path - even if it's unplugged" but yet you want to disconnect all wires and electronic parts from a board.

Me? I'm ready for an EMP now. Loaded tackle box, stack of books, and a large receptacle for any electronics. :-)

Faraday cage is actually the most practical answer. I think you may not understand what it is.

Be aware that many means of generating high power EMP involve high explosives, so if the EMP doesn't get you the blast might.

Its a enclosure made up copper and/or silver and it would protect electronics from emp's

I understand Faraday cage is the best thing to use incase of a emp attack, but thats not what i want or what i am asking.

Think of it like this, a EMP attack will most likely not be known, so you can run fast enough and put everything in.

gwdeveloper - i did not mean to contradict myself, i just word things wrong all the time.

when i said a emp can destroy unpluged or battery less electronics is because i thought if you put some kind of lever and press down and all electronic components will disconnect from the pcb and not attached to anything (like floating from a string (lol just thinking) ) Would that way the electronic parts survive.

I know i word things badly so answer me this, if i have LED, Micro Crystal, and a Regulator - each one for example in a small plastic ziplock all seperated, would a emp burn them out still?

If the answer is no, then there could be some kind of protection with my idea in which i guess im not wording it right LOL

Sorry if i sound aggressive when i chat here, i get pissed at myself for not wording stuff right lol.

Unplugged or not, if it conducts electricity, it had better be able to handle extremely high voltages or 'hasta la vista, baby'. There's no alien-technology, EMP protecting ZIF sockets or special ziplock bags. Passivated glass won't help either.

Wikipedia is your friend.

And you might check out some of the HAM forums. There's some guys building small Faraday cages for their radio equipment.

Its a enclosure made up copper and/or silver and it would protect electronics from emp's

I understand Faraday cage is the best thing to use incase of a emp attack, but thats not what i want or what i am asking.

Think of it like this, a EMP attack will most likely not be known, so you can run fast enough and put everything in.

gwdeveloper - i did not mean to contradict myself, i just word things wrong all the time.

when i said a emp can destroy unpluged or battery less electronics is because i thought if you put some kind of lever and press down and all electronic components will disconnect from the pcb and not attached to anything (like floating from a string (lol just thinking) ) Would that way the electronic parts survive.

I know i word things badly so answer me this, if i have LED, Micro Crystal, and a Regulator - each one for example in a small plastic ziplock all seperated, would a emp burn them out still?

If the answer is no, then there could be some kind of protection with my idea in which i guess im not wording it right LOL

Sorry if i sound aggressive when i chat here, i get pissed at myself for not wording stuff right lol.

an anti static bag is a Faraday cage.  The idea isn't to throw the device into a cage at the last minute, but rather to build the shielding into the device itself so that it is always protected.  Obviously this is impossible for devices that require wireless communication, but it is possible to isolate the main electronics (e.g. with optoisolators) from the RF side such that only one small piece of the system is vulnerable.  Even then, it depends on the strength of the EMP, and circuits can be electrically hardened to tolerate the transients produced by the pulse.  So in an idea device, you would have sensitive electronics shielded inside a robust Faraday cage, coupled non-electrically to hardened electronics that cannot be shielded.     

Electronics can be designed that can function (not just survive powered down) in very strong fields and perform quite happily.  Of course this level of engineering is quite involved and expensive, which is why these things only exist in applications that require them.

You want electronics that are immune to EMP?

May I suggest?

*drum roll*

the vacuum tube!

All and any semiconductor material will die in an EMP, that is, all diodes and transistors (and maybe thyristors too).

Vacuum tubes (at least when not powered) are not semiconductors. They are just a bunch of wires in a vacuum glass bulb. The semicundutor like behaviour (thermo electric effect) happens only when the cathode in the tube is heated (that's why those sweeties glow); electrons travel easier from the hot cathode to the cold anode, literally hot and cold! Electrons are negative charged particles, so the electrical current is opposite to this; current travels better from anode to cathode than the other way around. All vacuum tubes except diode tubes also contain fine metal meshes, known as grids or gates. You find the name gate in field effect transistors (FETs), and is similar to the base in bipolar junction transistors (BJTs or "normal" transistors).

6AK5_vacuum_tubes.JPG

ok, first - there is no "pulling down on a lever" or doing anything to "disconnect" anything...an EMP happens in an instant and you will have NO WARNING when it does.  You most likely won't hear anything (if it is a High Altitude EMP) and you might see something (a brief flash) if it is at night.  It happens so fast there is no human reaction you can do to avoid or mitigate it's results.

A good Faraday cage is used, not to put the stuff in you are using now but generally a smarter way to untilize a legit Faraday cage would be to have some stored electronics you may want after an EMP.  Ipad, Ipod, laptop, two-way radios, replacement control parts for a generator etc.  Keep in mind that most other folks electronics will be toast.. there willl be NO POWER GRID so anything you have you better have a way to power it... maybe a small fold-up solar charger...

A good "off-the-shelf" Faraday cage that will be plenty secure for small electronics - your Grandma's old pressure canner - the older type that have the wing-nut screw that compress the lid with about 6 to 8 bolts.  The very construction of this type of canner will protect anything inside from even the most powerful EMPs.

This may seem like a gratuitous plug, but i run a Podcast about the TV Show "Revolution" - I thought the storyline was based on an EMP attack.  But it was something more "Hollywood".  Me and my co-host, The Engineer, talk about EMP and CME and the show for fun... come on over as we debunk lots of myths about EMP and what will/won't work and how to prepare for something of this magnitude....

www.RevolutionFanCast.com

Hope this helps if an EMP strikes...