43oh

Finding the right LCD for my MSP430 device?

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some advice about my senior project. For my part of my project I have to connect my MSP430G2553 to an LCD display so I can display stuff like internal temperature and battery charge. I should be able to figure out how to read the inputs on my own. But my problem is that I have no idea which LCD to use. Its clear that it can be done with MSP430 devices, but how do I know which display to use with mine? 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I can get some advice about my senior project. For my part of my project I have to connect my MSP430G2553 to an LCD display so I can display stuff like internal temperature and battery charge. I should be able to figure out how to read the inputs on my own. But my problem is that I have no idea which LCD to use. Its clear that it can be done with MSP430 devices, but how do I know which display to use with mine? 

Thanks

Looks simple enough. You can take some inspiration from member designed LCD displays here. There is also the boosterpack section, search for LCDs there.

Edit: Welcome to 43oh!

Hi everyone,

Thanks

One with good enough documentation for you would be a good choice. Like the Nokia 5110 is widely available on the web, is fairly inexpensive( depending on where you purchase it from )  and has pretty good documentation. Plus lots of example code on various places ( including this forum ).

I find looking on sparkfun, or similar webpages, then expanding out from there to perhaps ebay gives a good rough estimate of what is available and for how much. Then I personally start checking available documentation for each device.

Right now, personally, I think the Nokia 5110 is probably the best choice, documentation, cost, and interfacing wise.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I may get the Nokia 5110 but for now my professor found an LCD that we might be able to use.

He said we would need some type of connector to interface it with the MSP430 device.

I found the LCD on digikey.com, http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go〈=en&keywords=DMC-50747NF-AK&x=0&y=0&cur=USD

but the data sheet provided wasn't much help and I couldn't even find the item on the manufacturer's website.

Its and LCD Module 16 X 2 chip on glass from Kyocera Display America and its part number is DMC-50747NF-AK.

DMC-50747NF-AK.jpg

And my launchpad is the MSP430G2553

msp43011.png

Does anyone know what kind of connector I would need?

Looks like Seeedstudio will be offering e-ink shortly, which would be great for low power!

Electrophoretic displays (Eink) have some nice attributes, but for most projects I think the "reflex LCD" displays are better.  Here is one recent project I saw from the guys at Energy Micro that uses such a display (link).  

The benefits of Electrophoretic displays are mostly for the segmented variety, which can be driven without an active matrix backpanel.  If you need the active matrix backpanel, then you are committing to a glass panel anyway, so the thinness and flexibility attributes go away.  You can see a segmented display on this kickstarter project which is also flexible (link).  As an aside: I would NOT back this project, as they will not be able to source their battery in the volumes they need.  STMicro is ramping-up a similar product, but that will have long-lead through 2013 (No secret information here, you can find it all online if you know where to look).

Anyway, my point is that I recommend the "reflex" or "memory" LCDs rather than the Eink units.  An added bonus is that they have a much lower peak current than Eink does -- if you are using a small battery, Eink can pull too much current across a short interval, causing voltage drop and therefore the BOR/POR on your MCU to flip.  That's annoying, especially if you don't know to expect it.

There are also the Sharp memory LCDs, which look similar to these, but also run $17 USD for a 1.26" model.

The LCDs listed by isaac there look neat, but I do not like the fact there there is no pricing information to be found on them ( call digikey for price is not a good sign either ).