43oh

Tilt-sensitive rolling ball display

Hi all,

Just to show off a little something I did :smile: It's an LCD display of a "ball" rolling around on a spotted surface, and bouncing from the boundries. The direction and speed of rolling is determined by the tilt of the entire setup. 

The hardware is a Nokia 5110 LCD breakout and a cheap 3-axis accelerometer breakout, both hooked directly to the MSP430 Launchpad. Code was written in Energia. 

Here's the video:

I don't consider the code clean enough to publish, however I'll be happy to answer any questions about it.

Happy coding!

Thanks!

Is there a preset bounce when you hit an edge?

I'm not sure what you mean by "preset"... It's not constant; When the ball crosses a boundry, its current speed on the relevant axis is reversed and halved (e.g. ball.dx = -ball.dx >> 1). 

What accelerometer did you use?

It's based on the MMA7361 chip. The breakout is from China, really cheap (~$4 on ebay). It can work with 5V or 3.3V and has analog outputs.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by "preset"... It's not constant; When the ball crosses a boundry, its current speed on the relevant axis is reversed and halved (e.g. ball.dx = -ball.dx >> 1). 

It's based on the MMA7361 chip. The breakout is from China, really cheap (~$4 on ebay). It can work with 5V or 3.3V and has analog outputs.

Awesome - I've actually got all of the pieces.  Looking forward to seeing the code.  I especially like the bounce - I'm interested to see how you're keeping track of the graphics.

Super cool! would be sweet to see a pong implementation w/ that tilt sensor though I suppose it would be alot more coding work. Mind posting which tilt sensor breakout board you used?

I was thinking more along the lines of a basic Breakout game ;-)

I don't know if this accelerometer breakout even has a name, it's probably the cheapest on ebay. Like I said somewhere up the comments, is based on the MMA7361 chip, and I guess any analog-output accelerometer with 3.3V input will do the trick just fine.

Thanks!