43oh

Msp430 LaunchPad with cc4000-tc6000

Hello everyone,

I am an absolute newbie to programming with the msp430. I am looking through tutorials as to understand more about the launchpad and what it will take to accomplish what I want to do. I have done all of the basic tutorials like "blinking the led" and whatnot. I will run down exactly what is going on.

At the moment I have a launchpad(2553) at home with me now and a brand new cc4000-tc6000 gps module kit. Right now, I am trying to get my Launchpad talking with the cc4000 module.

I have looked into the user experience code, which is made for the  MSP430F5529 Experimenter's board and cc4000 combo. It says porting to any msp430 should be relatively easy following the procedure on the page. I am just confused on how to connect the launchpad and the cc4000. The pin layout has duplicate RX and TX and I am not sure the function of having duplicates and if I have to connect those. I have soldered on wires to the launchpad. 

I am just starting at the beginning. I will post as I get further along.

Thank you for your time,

Matt

post-30927-0-64333200-1358974566_thumb.jpg

oh where to begin...  i did a quick search and here are some notes

i see you have a ton of wires soldered. try focusing on just the TX. GND and VCC from the GPS for now. (GPS TX to Launchpad RX and remove jumper)

1) it speaks UART yay! default baud rate is 9600 double yay! default outputs GPS and GSV NMEA data every second triple yay!

2) adapt the above code by using only the GPS decoding functions, then implement the serial functions to grab the data from the serial port

3) alternatively, load energia with the hardware and then use the GPS library from arduino,

4) hook up only the GPS tx to the micro RX and have the micro TX still jumpered to the launchpad application UART then just echo the datat to check the connections and everything is working

5) move on from 4 and send formatted decoded data and see that everything else is working. 

I might have posted this message a bit too prematurely before I did enough research and I didn't post exactly what I knew already. I knew about the UART, default baud rate, and decoding the NMEA string from reading the experience code. I was just confused on which pins I definitely had to wire and didn't have to wire from the tc6000 document to get things working. The document has more than just the vcc, gnd, rx, and tx so that's why I initially added all of the extra wires.

I see now the below are required to get the GPS working.

• UART interface operating at 9600 bps, 8N1 and no flow control
  • GPIO line for Reset
  • GPIO line for Push to Fix

So i can just wire to any two open pins on the launchpad for the other GPIO lines other than the vcc, gnd, and UART pins. Then I will have to go into the SLIM driver architecture and modify their code for what pins I am using for RX /TX, Reset, and Push to Fix.

I am just confused on the jumpers and what their purpose are..

*EDIT*

I just found this little tidbit that answered my question..

" The G2553, however, has a hardware UART on the same pins (in addition to the tiemr pins). Unfortunately, RX and TX are twisted. If you use the software UART, all is the same, but when using ht ehardware UART, the two signals need to be crossed when being connected to the TUSB chip. The 1.5 LaunchPad PCB has a change drouting that allows 'tuerning' the two jumpers by 90

tc6000gn_em1_user_manual_v01.pdf