bjbance

CCSv4 vs Energia

Just to get back on topic, is there any way to write "Energia" code within CCS? I've used Eclipse for the past 7 years or so and the Energia IDE seems very limited.

I expect to be something like: set up the includes for the GCC (or cl430?) to point to the "energia/hardware/cores/msp430", the "variants/launchpad" folder and then setting up some board/cpu defines.

I am not at all skilled at c/cpp so I don't know exactly where to look.

The end purpose would be to have autocomplete and debugging activated within Eclipse, not just to use it as a basic notepad.

I like the dumbed down version of arduino style programming because I don't have to worry about a lot of things and can do more projects quicker.

Essentially it should be something like that. You should take note howeever that some of the Energia files (like wiring etc.) include tricks to "translate" IAR/CCS code to GCC (which is the back end of Energia).

Alternatively (maybe much more of your liking) would be to set up Eclipse for use with GCC and haul the whole Energia back end into that. Now you can use the Energia coding style while using a full blown Eclipse environment (which integrates quite nicely with GCC already).

Just to get back on topic, is there any way to write "Energia" code within CCS? I've used Eclipse for the past 7 years or so and the Energia IDE seems very limited.

I expect to be something like: set up the includes for the GCC (or cl430?) to point to the "energia/hardware/cores/msp430", the "variants/launchpad" folder and then setting up some board/cpu defines.

I am not at all skilled at c/cpp so I don't know exactly where to look.

The end purpose would be to have autocomplete and debugging activated within Eclipse, not just to use it as a basic notepad.

I like the dumbed down version of arduino style programming because I don't have to worry about a lot of things and can do more projects quicker.

I've done some Code::Blocks + Energia toolchain video's on how to set up the two together. The link to my youtube videos(My channel actually ) is listed below, and you're welcome to take a look at them.

However, with my own limited experience with Eclipse, and far more experience with the Energia tool chain. There is no reason why you can not set up the Energia toolchain with Eclipse. CCS while possibly not impossible would be far more of a pain to setup with the Energia toolchain. As far as I could tell, and I did not spend too much time looking into it, but despite the fact that CCS is Eclipse based. Most of the compiler tools, or CCS specific bits and pieces seem to be obfusticated TI specific plug ins. So if you think Eclipse + Energia tool chain is a nightmare to setup . . . yeah forget about it.

Maybe in the future I will even do a video "blog" of how to setup the Energia tool chain with Eclipse. It should not be too hard to configure, as I've spent a lot of time the last month or so bouncing between Code::Blocks, and Visual Studio trying to get something I like, working. Between both Code::Blocks, and Visual Studio, both have their pluses for the given purpose. With me currently favoring Visual Studio for its code completion / syntax highlighting. I will definitely be doing some video's pertaining to Visual Studio in the future. Plus I have plans on writing an intermediate tool to help make things painless between the toolchain, and Visual Studio.