Sign in to follow this  
yyrkoon

Code::blocks + mspgcc wiki

Code::Blocks + mspgcc  Just happened to be writing a post in another part of the forums talking about Code::Blocks & GNU ARM etc. When I had a sudden realization . . .

Anyway, Code::Blocks for those of you who do not know what it is, is an IDE with lots of bells and whistles. For C/C++, and as standard uses GCC. However, as hinted at above it does have some cross compiler support.

Seems someone has gone out of their way, to tell us how to put it all together for  ourselves :smile: Having said that, I have not tested the material myself, but am very anxious to get it working !

Yes, same exact one. I am finding that it is not very complete though. One thing not related to the "instructions" that I found was that make was missing from the newest release of the tool chain . . .very annoying.

jpnorair, did you write that guide ? If so, I could use some guidance in setting up gdbproxy++ if you'd know anything about it. Not much info mention on the web yet that I have found. Except that it exists, and apparently made by the guy who wrote the SysProg stuff

Crap, I didn't realize my little website was getting google indexed.

I wrote some of the guide.  It was largely contributed by others, though.  I know that there a course at University of Antwerp that is using this setup, but I doubt you'll find much info online for that.

Basically, you need to be comfortable with makefiles to use any of these free tools.  Moreover, you need to pipe GDB to stdin/out to use codeblocks.  I'm not sure how this is possible on Windows, to be honest.

Crap, I didn't realize my little website was getting google indexed.

So far "your little website" is the *only* website that has any reasonable information on the subject.

Windows pipes just like linux, but as far as stdin/stdout yeah I dont have an idea either. Time to start researching. I may know some opensource / cross platform gurus, that *may* know the answer( on IRC )

So far i am up to the point where I build and am left with one error

"ld.exe||cannot find -lstdc++|"

Not sure how to proceed, but I'll take a break, and do more research on it in a while. Just off the top of my head, I am thinking because I didn't point C::B to the lib files. but meh, I've been at this a little at a time since the day before yesterday.

One trick I am attempting and experimenting with. C::B does auto search for tools based on HighTec's tool chain. So I created the path it expects, and took the toolchain from Energia, and just dropped it in the path lol, yeah we'll see how that works out in the end.

So far i am up to the point where I build and am left with one error

"ld.exe||cannot find -lstdc++|"

Well, it can't find your C++ library.  Possibly, it is not distributed with MSPGCC -- I wouldn't know, as I don't use C++.  See if you can compile a C program.

Yeah I dont know. there is msp430-g++,  cpp. exe etc etc. I did a quick file search in that home directory, and found no hits

Maybe ill end up putting Linux Mint DE on my other laptop. as i have an extra HDD laying around.

It is experiences like this that makes me keep a lot of open source stuff at arms distance.  There is no reason why this sort of thing has to be this much of a pain in the arse.

It is experiences like this that makes me keep a lot of open source stuff at arms distance.  There is no reason why this sort of thing has to be this much of a pain in the arse.

The fact is, it's hard to make quality piece of software, period.  It's exceptionally hard to make a quality piece of software without a real budget.  I have intimate knowledge of this... I have spent years working on my project OpenTag, and there are still so many things I'd like to do with it -- I guess it's never going to be 100% complete.  I get many emails every day asking questions about it, from all over the world, but I can't help everyone.

Anyway, people say about cars: fast, reliable, inexpensive... pick two.  Software is the same way.  Hell, most things are the same way.

I agree with everything you've said there, but in the end it still doesn't change a thing. I am not blaming anyone for making hard to use free software. Just stating that it can be a major hassle at times.

Anyway, for now, I am going to put this endeavor off to the side. Eventually, I may end up with Mint Linux DE on my secondary dev system, and give it a shot on that. Or just continue on my way in windows. 

One of the things that looks really appealing( from within Windows ), is the ability of using hardware debugging on the target through gdbproxy++ written by the developer(s) at SysProgs. However, there may be something similar working on Linux by now that I am unaware of too.

For the time being though, Energia with the Energia framework bypassed ( mspgcc ), using sublime text 2 as the text editor works great. Granted, I am missing code completion(which is one of the main reasons why I'd want to use C::B ). For this purpose alone, I *could* just use C::B the way I have it setup now, and just compile / load with Energia.

Also, for what it is worth. Sublime text2 can be configured in a way that that allows for extreme rapid coding style. Macros for various "keywords" etc. Kind of hard for me to explain, but it really is handy, and can be used to bang out code very quickly. Check this out: Perfect Workflow in Sublime Text 2  This guy is a web developer it seems but many of the things he talks about will work for any language. Personally, these videos made me very eager to use sublime text 2, aside from the fact that the editor comes default with a very "easy on the eyes" color theme. Which of course can be changed manually, or by using one of several premade color themes. 

I pinged the website support people.  For the record, the site is hosted by greengeeks.com.  I'm going to find a new host soon -- these guys are terrible.  Update: fixed now.