Forum sending old emails Read more... ×
zeke

Best information for those new to the MSP430?

If you have board based on MSP430F5508, but can't download (even) blink led example firmware using TI USB BSL flasher, don't worry. With your board everything is OK. Everything is OK with flasher, too.

bsl0.gif

TI prepared examples for MSP430F5529, and because of this none of them will work with MSP430F5508 (blink LED example will work with MSP40F5510). If you have XTAL2 with different frequency than one on TI MSP430F5529 evaluation board, USB (CDC/HID) examples will not work with your MSP430F5529, too.

So, for the first test just select your firmware (prepared for uC used by you) in TI txt format and flash it. :thumbup:

And here's the information on how to configure your CCS/IAR to create txt file.

BTW, if your project has spaces in its name, you will have to add .txt extension ("My F5510 Project" will produce "My" file in the Debug folder.)

While not specific to the MSP430 processors . . .

I found http://www.amazon.com/Making-Embedded-Systems-Patterns-Software/dp/1449302149 a very good read so far. 

Also http://kjarvel.wordpress.com/2011/10/26/table-driven-state-machine-using-function-pointers-in-c/ is a decent intro into table driven state machines, using function pointers. Do keep in mind that the code as presented is close to functional, but will not compile without some minor additions, or adjustments. See if you can spot the omissions :smile:

The author of the arduino PID library I believe wrote a decent article on beginner to commercial grade PID controllers. http://brettbeauregard.com/blog/2011/04/improving-the-beginners-pid-introduction/

Also google + general C programming keyword works great for things I am either rusty on, or haven't quite grasped yet. My personal preference is to stick with posts mostly from stackoverflow.com( there are even some MSP430 specific questions / answers here ). Although stuff from The Code project can be very good too.

Again, the book, and the links are not MSP430 specific, but are a few sources of information I found useful while trying to wrap my brain around different programming concepts. 

Unfortunately for me, I have not found most of the MSP430 related subject matter very useful. So far the users guide for the device im using, and the data sheet while extremely terse have helped me the most. Not to mention this forum, and the fact that the friend I am workign in colaboration with is an excellent electronics engineer ( me being the code monkey .  .) Do realize that most of my programming experience over the last 15 or so years has been OOP in nature, and anything outside of that realm in style makes my head hurt, and eyes bleed. So when I say somethign did not work for me, does not mean it couldnt work for someone else. with that in mind . . .The MSP430 basics book was good up to a point. But being a code snob ( sorry I can not help it ) I find the authors coding style atrocious, and hard to read through because of my own coding style preferences. Coupled with dated material, and code examples written for a different MSP430 than what I am learning on / developing for. I just moved on to different material.

EDIT:

One thing that *can* be very useful for MSP430 specific subject matter is using google + <keyword> + PDF. There are all kinds of whitepapers, written by various people, and institutions that can be very helpful for topic specific information. As an example just searching for "MSP430 and SPI external memory" I eventually ran into a very interesting white paper written by a college professor from some college ( which I can not remember the name of offhand ). Anyways, perhaps obvious to some, but maybe not to others . . .

Hi RichardVowles,

I have not read this book personally, but based on the reviews and book description. It seems you would get just as much out of the MSP430 basics book, or possibly even the MSP430 workshop videos from TI.

Obviously since I have not read it, I could be wrong. Please let us know what you think if you do end up purchasing it.

Yeah, that's probably not a cool thing to do. The author expects payment for her hard work . . .

I'd agree if it was torrent or sth like this, but this link is returned on the 7th position of Google Search for serarch string Making Embedded Systems. Anyway, I have no idea how come such site may still openly operate.

Well it is up on the web, and torrents do exist for it as well. It is a good book IMHO, at least up to page 98  where I left off to read on other things.

I probably should not say too much, as I have been known to "try before you buy" myself. As I get tired of paying good money for garbage.

Safari books online has that title and many other technical books useful to this crowd.  The Davies book, "MSP430 Microcontroller Basics", is available.  I used to buy a couple of tech books every month @ ~$35 per pop. Now I just have an unlimited safari books online subscription. I haven't bought any books for at least 5 years, however I've been able to access to the information I need.  You might try and get your company to spring for a subscription.  Now if I could only find a buyer for all my old books like my collection of X-Windows programming from 1990, or old Petzold books from the 80's ... :smile:

http://www.safaribooksonline.com/

-rick

I actually prefer a hard copy of *good* books. Problem is finding good books. I have a couple here on the shelf, such as "Linux device drivers" and "Embedded Linux primer". The rest are all old stuff, and are in a box *somewhere*. 

Although, I have not owned a tablet yet, and was considering buying a Nexus 7 for android development, and to read PDF's on. *shrug*

I'd agree if it was torrent or sth like this, but this link is returned on the 7th position of Google Search for serarch string Making Embedded Systems. Anyway, I have no idea how come such site may still openly operate.

Copyright laws are not the same in all countries.  This site is likely based out of one that does not recognize copyright.

Well it is up on the web, and torrents do exist for it as well. It is a good book IMHO, at least up to page 98  where I left off to read on other things.

I probably should not say too much, as I have been known to "try before you buy" myself. As I get tired of paying good money for garbage.

There are many things on the web.  Depending on your location, downloading/possessing them may, or may not be illegal.  In the US, possessing one copyright-infringing file can get you jail time and fines in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Let's be safe out there, folks. :grin:

Let's be safe out there, folks. :grin:

*puts on web-safe condom*

Seriously though, as software developers of sorts, you would think that "we" could appreciate / and respect copyright laws.

Where I am concerned, GeekDoc, you're preaching to the choir   However, again, I have no qualms checking content out before I spend my own hard earned cash on something. Otherwise, it is me that is being ripped off, and in the end. I may be able to sympathize with someone over their problems, but their problems are not mine. If you catch my meaning.

That said, in this situation I feel that the author( Elecia White ) deserves every dime she can get from that book.

EDIT: 

And apparently based on my link there O'Reilly has made the complete book available for viewing though google books.