43oh

Joining from Green Bay, WI

Hi Everyone,

I am another one of those rude forum members who have been posting over the last few week without first an introduction. My name is Luke and I've had a lifelong passion for electronics. I studied EE at Michigan Tech and have been working in industry now for about 5.5 years. I see myself as more of a hardware guy but try to be cross functional and develop code as well. My experience is that it is almost impossible to have a great project unless there is great harmony between hardware and firmware.

I typically use design spark for schematic and pcb, fab boards at iTead and assemble either by hand or with a paste stencil and a toaster oven.

My current project is a open source ESC called bldc booster which I hope to take airborne one day in a quadcopter. So far I've built 2 revisions and am currently refining some sensorless bldc algorithms from TI for the msp430 value line. Some of the designs that I've working on professionally are medical devices mostly related to X-RAY machines. I've also done some work with ultra-wideband radios.

I really enjoy the 43oh forum and of all the other forums I've followed, I feel most at home here maybe because I tend to gravitate toward TI parts. Thanks Blue Hash for making the forum a reality!

-Luke

Welcome to 43oh! Thanks for the kind words.

For BLDC.. did you look at TI's design? Would the Stellaris be an ideal choice? Also, if you are successful in building a design, let the forum know. If many are interested in it, we can do a GB and also have your first 10 boards sponsored.

Thanks bluehash, it would be great to get a few bldc boosters out there in members hands. In fact I have about 20 on hand and another 30 ready to bake. I feel pretty good about the hardware right now but still think that firmware needs some improvement. For the processor, I'm targeting msp430g2553 because of cost but certainly a Stellaris or c2000 part is better suited. I'm pretty familiar with the ti designs for instaspin and they are great, I just felt that it would be too costly to base a open source esc off of a high end chip like drv8312. Also when working with my local ti rep, he told me that no one internally has gotten instaspin working on the value line so that's the sort of thing that gets me excited.

I know theres a lot of bright and dedicated members on the forum so maybe. Can get lucky and solicit some help on the firmware side as I love helping others with their hardware.

-Luke