mbeals

First eagle board....would someone mind checking?

Wow..that's pretty small.  I was trying to shrink it as small as I could, but I started to really have to fight with the silkscreen and mounting holes.  I somehow managed to accidentally hit $10 on the nose, so I decided that was a sign to call it a day.  

Yeah - it's just a tiny breakout board.  All SMD except for the breakout pins.  I've had some other tiny boards I've done for my sewable project - little boards about twice the size of 0805 LEDs - I pre-panelized (they have a minimum size) and got 27 for $2.25.  For little things like that - it's cheaper and faster than Seeed.  

post-1690-0-74228100-1357832553_thumb.png

post-1690-0-88878100-1357832560_thumb.png

post-1690-0-45459800-1357833162_thumb.png

If it makes a "square" type shape... a panel of 6 for a 5x5 10 peice order gets you 60 and they don't deny it.  I've yet to get a good panelization denied when over 5, because 6 just makes sense a lot of times.  Why not get 60, you never know when you might need more of it or want to share it.

Another quick question about OSHpark.  When I look at their rendering, there appear to be places where the soldermask is touching (but there appears to be space on the copper layer....yet using their DRC file, those areas check out fine clearance wise.  Should I believe the DRC or the rendering?

Also, one of the parts I'm placing has a thermal pad underneath it with a grid of 6 vias under it that are incorporated into the symbol.  I have managed to get these connected into nice, big thermal planes, but the clearance and drill size are too small for OSHpark.  If I leave it as is, and submit it, will they just drill it to the next larger size and flood the area in copper anyway?

Another quick question about OSHpark.  When I look at their rendering, there appear to be places where the soldermask is touching (but there appears to be space on the copper layer....yet using their DRC file, those areas check out fine clearance wise.  Should I believe the DRC or the rendering?

Also, one of the parts I'm placing has a thermal pad underneath it with a grid of 6 vias under it that are incorporated into the symbol.  I have managed to get these connected into nice, big thermal planes, but the clearance and drill size are too small for OSHpark.  If I leave it as is, and submit it, will they just drill it to the next larger size and flood the area in copper anyway?

I have a board coming for the TMP006 where the pads were close enough together that the solder mask layer bleeds together.  However - when I look at their render for the copper - they're separate.  The Solder Mask layer only marks areas where there isn't supposed to be solder mask - it doesn't dictate what the copper below looks like.  I did notice that after I did my original submission, they don't show the copper layer.

I'm not quite sure what would happen with the drills.  If it's below their minimum - I'd guess they'll kick it out when you initially upload.  They should be catching drill sizes that are too small.  If not - no idea what the behavior would be.  You could always test upload the files and see what it throws back.  Clearance - I have sent boards in with clearance problems and not had them kicked out.  However - they were ed clearance, so my pads/traces were in danger of being cut off.  In one case - I did have a pad that was affected.  If you have traces with clearance issues - you're likely to have issues with broken or shorted traces.  Dangerous Prototypes had a post about common issues with PCB manufacturing and there were some comments about clearance.  Can't find the link right now unfortunately.

The funny thing is, it still renders the holes in the drill mask when I upload it. I can't tell if it is just enlarging them to the minimum or not though. The clearance issue is between the vias that make up the heat sink pad. They touch, and the crc doesn't approve. They are embedded in a big copper plane, so as long as it is filled, I don't care.

I did fix the solder mask issue by just tenting the vias though.

I just heard back from OSHpark.  For the most part, clearance issues will not stop the board from being submitted, but you're on your own if it doesn't come back the way you want it to.  If you have drills that are outside of their spec, the board will be rejected or the drills will simply not be drilled.  They won't resize them.

When I was editing the library part to increase the drill size, I also discovered and interesting quirk.  The library files TI has on their site don't convert 100% correctly, which resulted in the ground pads not being tied to the ground pad pin on the symbol. Once I fixed the connections, all of the clearance issues vanished.