bluehash

What are you working on today/this week?

A few projects on my mind...

1. Solar powered outdoor night lamp; just purchased some plain 12V waterproof LED strips off aliexpress, got a simple charge controller PCB on the way (no MPPT, just a G2553 w/ voltage monitor on solar & SLA battery along with a load output).  Future revision will include MPPT (this is my inaugural foot in the door project for playing with solar).  I have a lamp fixture already (fairly large) where the LED strips should fit inside, just need to run the wiring and get an outdoor battery box for the battery + controller board.

2. CC3100+MSP430 thermocouple/grill monitor; trying to construct a grill monitor for a coworker with fully native WiFi.  Not 100% sure what to use for the battery yet, but my coworker was interested in solar for that one too.  Could try a Fuel Tank boosterpack with a simple solar circuit to provide the FT's charger with 5V.  Thought of using the CC3200, but the CC3200 LaunchPads are all out of stock right now.

3. Woodstove thermocouple monitor for both stovetop temps and flue temps (using a probe thermocouple poking inside the fluepipe).  Been wanting this for a couple years.  Might try to control a fan with this too, so it can extract better heat but shut it down if the stove seems to cool too much (can affect draft and ability to burn all the coals down).

2. CC3100+MSP430 thermocouple/grill monitor; trying to construct a grill monitor for a coworker with fully native WiFi.  Not 100% sure what to use for the battery yet, but my coworker was interested in solar for that one too.  Could try a Fuel Tank boosterpack with a simple solar circuit to provide the FT's charger with 5V.  Thought of using the CC3200, but the CC3200 LaunchPads are all out of stock right now.

sparkfun have an MPPT single cell LiPo charger. might be worth looking at

Nothing embedded related really, although I have been tinkering with migrating @@spirilis 's TFT code into c++ objects with some classes to make drawing and manipulating text boxes and menu structures easier.

Most of my time has been spent fighting with allied vision's gige camera API. The documentation is absolutely horrendous

Nothing embedded related really, although I have been tinkering with migrating @@spirilis 's TFT code into c++ objects with some classes to make drawing and manipulating text boxes and menu structures easier.

Most of my time has been spent fighting with allied vision's gige camera API. The documentation is absolutely horrendous

whose TFT code?  I don't recall writing any TFT code (need to do so very soon though!)

Simple one, but I am glad I got it working in a single revision :D Little Brother wanted to add some glow to a school project. Last one died from being left on (and 9v battery), so...

A 5 minute soft-switch for some color changing leds. Using the EZ430 sticks I had, LPM0 and LPM4, Interrupts, the whole shebang. Turns on for 30 seconds when power is applied, then sleeps. Press the button, lights turn on for 5 minutes, using the watchdog timer, before going back to sleep. Press the button while the lights are on, they turn off and back to sleep.

Simple pushbutton + transistor, and tapping the 5V pin for usb power (actually 3x AA but the EZ430's regulator is a 0.15V dropout LDO!). :D Codes and pics later.

@@cde Always good to get something working and sometimes speed is better than perfection, but why not ditch the ezFET part and just use the target board? The F2013 will run just fine from 2xAA. No regulator required. You can even get battery packs that fit straight onto the 0.5" pitch connector. (The similar ez430-rf2500 came with some.)

@@cde Always good to get something working and sometimes speed is better than perfection, but why not ditch the ezFET part and just use the target board? The F2013 will run just fine from 2xAA. No regulator required. You can even get battery packs that fit straight onto the 0.5" pitch connector. (The similar ez430-rf2500 came with some

Few reasons. I have about 10 Slow Color Changing leds. The current draw is up to 50mA each depending on color. So its not a small load. I tested with one and 2 AA batteries. With good batteries, the blue and white is dimmer than normal. With a good and a worn battery, the blue and green are very dim. These LEDs come from a usb christmas light string, so 5V normal, and datasheets show a wide range. I mean, it will work at <3V but not well. 4.5V gives a nice bright color. So I need the 4.5V for the LEDs, and such, the regulator for the msp430. To boot, the 3x AA batteries give me a nice range where both the msp430, regulator, and LEDs work.

Additionally, I soldered on a female usb connector to the battery pack. If I want to, I can switch to a usb charger instead of battery pack. And I can reprogram the msp430 without removing the board or soldering extra wires.

Finally, I have like 5 ez430s lying around and might as well use the entire thing for the project, otherwise they will just collect dust :D

@@cde Those sound like excellent reasons. I should have realised from your post count and reputation that you'd thought it through and made a sensible decision, rather than some newbie who hadn't noticed they could be disconnected.

Finally got the pervasive displays ePaper display working with the Stellaris launchpad.   :biggrin:

Took a lot of tweaking, and I am not sure which tweaks were essential, so may be a bit before the code

gets cleaned up enough to post the modifications to the gratis library.

I'm still working on my ThinkPad keyboard project. This time interfacing to a HM-10/HC-06 module with custom HID firmware. The code is ready to be loaded but the 5V boost IC just won't work properly  :sad: