bluehash

What are you working on today/this week?

Teaching myself Eagle CAD so I can stop using AutoCAD to design boards and stream line the whole process.

Also I'm trying to figure out how to get the MSP430G2331 (think that's right) and TLC5940 working together for my next project.

Working on two projects when free from my main activities :

- A Simple Weather Station with Statistics. The MSP430G2452 will be used for a remote Temp/Humidity Sensor sending data over a mono-directional 433MHz link.

Main unit will be based on Arduino Nano though. Three reasons : has EEPROM integrated for statistics, run on 5V and interfaces easier with the DS1307 RTC modules I have in stock, has 1Kb of SRAM and should allow me to run a small HTTP Server using a ENC28J60 Ethernet module.

- A larger project with a friend involving two Raspberry Pi and several LaunchPad and Arduinos. The goal is to do monitoring and logging for some kind of factory (don't ask more for now). The Raspberry will do statistics and webservers with one as main server and several ones as remote servers in several locations. The MCU will do sensor measurements and will send the data over Ethernet, RS-485 or RF link depending on the needs... Its a large project that will take more than one year to complete...

Yan.

I'm working on bagging up several hundred thousands of electronics parts. I can give you a pic, but would rather wait until I get more done.Helping my buddy "wulfman" put like 3 new auctions a day on ebay. aside from that, still working on a reflow oven project.

For the past couple days I have been trying to write a "TCP speed test" which is where my code sends TCP packets through the wiznet w5200 ethernet as fast as possible from a msp430 5-series chip to my unix server, so I can measure the performance of the msp430+wiznet, and also to help me find bugs in my code.  So far I have just found a couple bugs in my code from this and am still working on it.

Some hack time after work today; played with the Wolverine LaunchPad, Captouch (learning its new CAPTIOxCTL interface plus the "internal-only" TA2 and TA3 timers), and trying to do some "water level sensing" by taking two jumpers, removing 1 end of each and taping the exposed ends to the outside of a glass cup w/ tape.

post-15991-0-17223900-1404857148_thumb.jpg

I was able to consistently read a "high" water level (at or above the electrodes) vs a "low" water level (reasonably close to the "dry" baseline calibration value).

Also using CCSv6 for this, with the RH GCC 4.8 compiler.  Getting cozier with that setup.  It's also sweet having EnergyTrace++ profiling for my code every time (didn't take a pic of that unfortunately).

post-15991-0-49203500-1404857154_thumb.jpg

post-15991-0-90537900-1404857160_thumb.jpg

Right now i am to busy but i have been taking note of what i have to do begining next week:

Update Tiva RTC library to work with tm4c123

Get some more knowledge on the new tm4c1294 with TivaWare

Make during vacantion a RGB matriz with about 800 leds using the new Tiva processing power.

Get my college robotics club ready for next year freshmen

So yea, expect probably new libraries to work with more Tiva peripherals since i can't realy teach TivaWare to freshmen and high school kids 

Sorry, no love for the msp430 is planed unless i get a chronos :P

I hope to get back to be more active on the forums!

I've been curious about 6502s lately (I was too young when the craze hit) and I have been working on this:

post-30999-0-97642900-1404918754_thumb.jpg

The MSP430 communicates with a program over UART, driving the 6502 data lines and using IO expanders to drive the address lines. I started out with RAM and ROM stored on the PC and fetching data every cycle over UART but this maxes out at about 90hz. Now everything is stored on a 128k SPI SRAM and the MSP430 syncs that memory with the memory on the PC every 200ms. I can get about 12,000hz this way (0.012MHz) Keeping all the data on the PC lets me view memory, set breakpoints, single-step, etc. It also keeps track of what memory is uninitialized, read-only, and executable so that it can break on improper memory access.

post-30999-0-55297700-1404919695_thumb.jpg

All the peripherals like buttons, switches, screens, LEDs, etc are virtual and can be mapped to any memory location.

post-30999-0-93902300-1404919407_thumb.png

It's way too slow to be a functional computer but it works well enough for learning about 6502 hardware and assembly.

Keeping all the data on the PC lets me view memory, set breakpoints, single-step, etc. It also keeps track of what memory is uninitialized, read-only, and executable so that it can break on improper memory access.

@@Druzyek Very interesting.

Do you have a monitor program / OS? Did you just roll your own bootloading in ASM?

The trainer using functions in your ROM? You should move it a peripheral board w/ LEDs and buttons.

Those resistors appear to be low values so my intuition says that you are creating a super low pass filter with the R's and C's.

If that's the case then I am guessing the something similar to @@cubeberg - a tone/click detector of some sort.

The psuedo wide stance of the microphones seems to suggest the measurement of time of flight from two different sources.

The speed of sound, at 20'C (68 'F) is 343 meters per second (1125 feet per second).

You are most likely running the MSP430 on its internal oscillator at 1MHz so a system tick is about 1 microsecond.

If you are running TimerA off of the DCO then you can count 1 microsecond events(maybe?).

Woah! Wait a minute! I need to stop myself.

I have a new thought.

You live in Ontario, right?

This is not a distance measuring device. I think that you are trying to sense frequencies between 250 Hz to 1000Hz because I think that this is a

Mosquito Detector!

Do you have a monitor program / OS? Did you just roll your own bootloading in ASM?

The trainer using functions in your ROM? You should move it a peripheral board w/ LEDs and buttons.

No OS or anything. It just starts running whatever code is at the address pointed to by the reset vector and that's where I copy my code. So far I've just been drawing shapes and things to a virtual screen. No ROM or any other functions. What do you mean about peripheral board? I can drag and drop as many buttons and LEDs onto the screen as I want and map them to any address I want to without having to solder or breadboard anything.

@@simpleavr, ...tiny sonar?

Planning and ordering stage of trying to replicate an object from a tv show.

jgPr2.png

So I'm ordering some EL wire, and sampling some drivers. A inductorless driver, two resistors and two caps, plus a msp430 to add some fading/pulsing, all powered from a single cr2032.

No OS or anything. It just starts running whatever code is at the address pointed to by the reset vector and that's where I copy my code. So far I've just been drawing shapes and things to a virtual screen. No ROM or any other functions. What do you mean about peripheral board? I can drag and drop as many buttons and LEDs onto the screen as I want and map them to any address I want to without having to solder or breadboard anything.

@@simpleavr, ...tiny sonar?

@@Druzyek

Don't you want to make it standalone and independent of a terminal? With 7 segment LEDs and keypad. Those trainers are very common in the '70s. Like the KIM-1. They usually have a few KBytes of "Monitor" code allow user interfacing. May be even a bootloader that load programs from audio tape drive.

What I meant is I think it would be interesting to see the buttons, LEDs and screens be real / physical instead of virtual. I.e more electronic h/w

As for my mysterious "device", I will show a short video tomorrow.