Sign in to follow this  
zeke

Poll: What compiler tools do you use?

What compiler tools do you use?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bluehash!

I'd like to do a poll to see what compiler tools everyone is using. Can you tweak the forum to allow polls?

Here's what's on my mind.

I use CCS4 and so my code snippets are written in that fashion. I understand that mspgcc is different enough that the code has to be re-written before it will compile.

What tools do you use?

Options:

1. CCS4

2. IAR

3. GCC

4. Rowley

5. Other

What do you think?

I'm using gcc because I'm on a Mac, mostly. (and I'm used to using gcc for AVR, 68K, MIPS, and PPC, and using a unix-like build environment rather than a product-specific IDE.)

My understanding is that the latest version of gcc for msp430 is set up to use the TI include files, rather than the non-TI include files it used to use. This should go a long ways to making things more compatible. (there are probably still "minor" incompatibilities at the edges: defining ISRs and so on, but I think the different include files were the big problem.)

One not full on-topic question:

I do not know if it's only my problem, or is it general:

I do not use CCS4 (and other similar ECLIPSE based compilers) for two reasons:

1) It is big. No, not big, VERY BIG. Installs itself in thousands of directories across the system. I do not like this type of software.

2) The problem with the mouse. I want to use the mouse wheel for scrolling documents. But in CCS4 I roll and roll and roll ... And nothing. Only if I make a supersonic roll-speed, sometimes a little scrolling document. It's very annoying. I'm from that angry.

...And I'm disappointed from GRACE. I expected that GRACE will be a tool that generates me a clear and simple piece of code to insert into their applications. Instead I got a confusing piece of code that needs to their functioning linking library from TI.

I do not want a tool that creates a strange code.

And on-topic: I am using IAR (and I voted in the poll).

No, since I'm also used to a non-GUI development environment, I get along fine with EMACS and Makefiles and such.

An interesting possibility is to run Eclipse on Mac with the individual compiler apps that run underneath running in Wine...